Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: land in Wales & England  (Read 1511 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »

out of intrest as i have only got land to detecting on in s.wales and not a lot really just wondering if members have land in england they can detect  on and do they think that they find more in england than in wales.this is not a post to see whixch is the best but just to see if they find more in one or the other Grin ;)and this is to our members in england also if they have land in wales Wink
Debbie

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »

Kev, have you looked at the PAS 2007 report that PeterH posted - it is interesting to see the distribution of recorded finds on the map.  Wales looks a bit pale in comparison to England.  That could, of course be due to many factors, one of which could be that there are more people detecting in England per square mile than in Wales, or, of course, it could be that there are just more goodies coming out of the ground in England than in Wales.  Historically, if there was a denser population in England (denser, of course, in the context of 'more people'  Grin) then the law of averages says that more finds will be made in that area.  Also, if the ground has been cultivated more in areas of England, then again it is more likely that items are brought up nearer to the surface, in range of the detector.
So many things to think about .................
Deb
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »

all my better finds come from england.
detectordave

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »

I asked the same question a few weeks back and i have come to the concluesion that the land is ploughed far more often in england than wales therefore finds are dragged up all the time.If as some people think its because there were less people living in wales (which is true) why have we got so many more castles in wales than they have in england the stuff is there to find its just being there when the conditions are right.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »

I read a report by a guy a few years ago that basically was a test bed for finds in the three year and five year crop rotation that is rife in modern agricultural practice. Basically in the three year rotation the planted finds that included pottery, metalwork , coins and fabric all the material that was buried turned up pretty much where it should be, But interestingly the five year rotation had finds that totally disappeared and over the fifteen year experiment that this project was they could come to no conclusion other than that the addition of the deep ploughing for the potatoes the one year made the difference. Like some of the members have said though there is a awful lot of pasture in Wales. Could be a factor.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »

england every time may be more castles but there are more medievil villages in england and years ago the first place to port from the cont flatter land for crops so its got to be england for me every time Smiley

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal