Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Brooches  (Read 4764 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: March 27, 2015, 07:15:55 AM »

Well talk about on a roll with brooches every one of these came from the slope in the picture, the big one is a Polden Hill second half of the 1ST century, the T Shape brooch has enamel still remaining and dates to the 1ST-2ND century and the 3 long thin ones are Aucissa  1ST  century, and the small one is a Colchester 1ST  century. I cannot believe I haven’t hit some early roman coins Huh as the brooches are early Roman, I suppose there might  not be any here obviously Undecided so until then I will settle for the brooches and more than pleased with them. Smiley

* 011.JPG (61.28 KB, 448x336 - viewed 1005 times.)

* 014.JPG (54.86 KB, 448x336 - viewed 1060 times.)

* 015.JPG (61.3 KB, 448x336 - viewed 1063 times.)

* 019.JPG (76.09 KB, 448x336 - viewed 1061 times.)

* Brooches 005.JPG (50.19 KB, 448x336 - viewed 1042 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

That's interesting Paul.  I remember there was an episode of Time Team where they found loads of broken brooches and they speculated maybe there had been a workshop, or similar, nearby where they would have been melted down and the metal re-used. It would explain why they are all a similar age but from different locations.
That was an interesting site also.  Brooches all in one area and coins in another. Maybe you haven't found the coin part yet. Wink

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »

The same conundrum as a few of us on here Paul one of my fields up on the Poldens has produced 30 brooches, ironically none of them Polden hills type lol, one being a La Tene and the rest 1st and early 2nd, they have come from all over this 7 acre field so no apparent reason other than casual losses. The field has also given up 47 Roman coins none being minted before 270 AD Undecided I've chatted to the FLO about this and she informs me that this is quite common on this side of the country where it seems that a barter system survived for much longer than in the more Romanised east...........But my big question is "what did they barter for the brooches?" surely there are only so many hamster one brooch maker could want Grin
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »

Ah Ha, sounds a little like Rubic's Cube. It's quite a puzzler that you have there! I look forward to reading about your progress, as you continue to detect the area.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

lovely finds paul , its the opposite for me on one very small site half the size of a football field , about 40 very nice 3rd century bronzes and 1 1st/2nd century brooch   Undecided

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »

stunning send some down my way please will ya  Wink Wink Wink Wink

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

P'raps it was a family heirloom Mike  Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »

i wouldnt leave the slope i`d mow it up and down and sideways slow as possible Smiley nice finds

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »

That's interesting Paul.  I remember there was an episode of Time Team where they found loads of broken brooches and they speculated maybe there had been a workshop, or similar, nearby where they would have been melted down and the metal re-used. It would explain why they are all a similar age but from different locations.
That was an interesting site also.  Brooches all in one area and coins in another. Maybe you haven't found the coin part yet. Wink

Val
I saw that episode Val, I will keep looking Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »

The same conundrum as a few of us on here Paul one of my fields up on the Poldens has produced 30 brooches, ironically none of them Polden hills type lol, one being a La Tene and the rest 1st and early 2nd, they have come from all over this 7 acre field so no apparent reason other than casual losses. The field has also given up 47 Roman coins none being minted before 270 AD Undecided I've chatted to the FLO about this and she informs me that this is quite common on this side of the country where it seems that a barter system survived for much longer than in the more Romanised east...........But my big question is "what did they barter for the brooches?" surely there are only so many hamster one brooch maker could want Grin
Thats interesting Geoff, I have had a few grots amongst the brooches and going back 5 years when the farmer use to plough ::)I had a denarius, God I wish the farming practices would change from min- till,  Grin good point re the bartering though,  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »

Ah Ha, sounds a little like Rubic's Cube. It's quite a puzzler that you have there! I look forward to reading about your progress, as you continue to detect the area.
Cheers Resurgam, keep you posted Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »

lovely finds paul , its the opposite for me on one very small site half the size of a football field , about 40 very nice 3rd century bronzes and 1 1st/2nd century brooch   Undecided
Its a strange old hobby MIke, I wouldn't mind 40 coins of here mate, in a pot wil do I'm not to fussy, is that your side of the bridge mate or not Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »

stunning send some down my way please will ya  Wink Wink Wink Wink
Cant remember where you are Al, is it short of Roman. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »

i wouldnt leave the slope i`d mow it up and down and sideways slow as possible Smiley nice finds
Thanks Jay, it's already had a good mowing mate, what with not being ploughed any more it does get harder o find stuff Huh Well I thought so, but even with a bit of cultivation finds come up Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »

I've got a field like that, except theres no brooches or coins Huh Well found Paul

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal