Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out today with Rob & Ian . . . 7th July 2009  (Read 3326 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 07, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »

Managed to get out today thanks to a kind invite from Rob - cheers mate.
Rob, Ian and I hit a bit of stubble in the VoG that has been hammered over the years by detectorists, but still produces the odd suprise. Shocked

The weather Gods were kind to us with just a couple of occasional showers. the finds were a bit thin on the grounds, but a few decent items still turned up.

The first find of any note fell in the form of a contemporary fake George III sixpence to Gadget aka Ian. A nice coins and I like it even more for being a fake. Felt really light and had traces of silver gilding still on it. Rob also had a smattering of copper coins, but at that point coins were elluding me.

I was using my X-Terra 30, as whilst geting ready I dropped the battery pack off my Explorer on my tiled floor and snapped the yellow loading/releasing bit off - I am not a happy chappy and seem to be breaking everything I touch at the moment. Roll Eyes that includes two pairs of headphones, an arm rest off an explorer and a pinpointer - whats going on? Huh

Anyway I had a dodgy sort of signal and there just 4 inches down was a hammered coin. We think its Elizabeth and I am sure I could see the date and shield, but my over zealous cleaning with silver foil seems to have removed part of it - never again will that happen! Angry  Normally a bit of spit and silver foil just makes it clearer - this time it oblitterated it! All the same I know its a bit of a dog, but a hammered is a hammered in my book.  Any ideas anyone?  Rob thinks it maybe a three pence and its certainly larger than a Tudor penny, so he may well be correct.

I also found a nice token that needs some carefull cleaning and what I believe to be a Tudor chess piece - any ideas again anyone?

I had to leave early due to issues at the vets - not sure what the boys found after I left, but I am sure they will update us.

Great day out and thanks to Rob and Ian for the company and invite.

Laters
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »

Well done chaps at least you are getting out about . Nothing to go at up here for a few weeks. The silage and hay fields are to long again. Pasture is to long and all the corn fields are a no go. Potato fields are sprouting. Oh well there,s still Taff and his ducks on you tube.  Grin Grin Grin
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »

hard to tell neil never had that happen to me before a bit of foil works well ill be carefull from now on  Cool stll a good day out well done all Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:31 PM »

Well done Neil. Not sure about the hammered - can we see the other side?

I think the token could be this one:

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/W.0272.002.html
romano-brit

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

the hammered looks more like a charles to me rather than a lizzy

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »

Very nice finds well done land is at a premium at the mo...PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Mark

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »

Sounds like a good day was had by all so well done.  The chess peice is actually the end of a 16th/17th C spoon. 

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »

cheers for the comments lads.

Thats spot on with description Peter - Thanks mate.

I am pretty sure the hammered is an Elizabeth 3 pence - the remaining legend fits and size as well. Looks like Rob was right! Shame its so battered.

Mark - you might be right with the spoon idea mate - I seem to remember Johnny finding one at some point as well. Have to catch up soon.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

LOOKS  LIKE  YOU  ALL HAD A GOOD DAY OUT  LADS ,,,,,,,,,,,, SOME  GOOD  FINDS ,,,,, NICE  WEATHER   WHAT MORE  COULD  YOU  WANT  Huh Huh  WELL DONE   Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »

Very nice looks like you had a great day good on you bud...................... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
hedgehog
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:34 AM »

A nice story there Neil, don't let him borrow anything folks if you want it to stay in one piece  Grin . I always think it's nice to find a bit of silver and on ground that has been detected, well done.
Peter amazes me with his i.d.'s , he is a master!
mike8547

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:42:29 AM »

some great  finds lads keep it up wish i could get out mor
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »

Sorry I couldn't be with you, lads. The 'chess piece' looks like a pipe tamper to me. I've found the odd one myself.

Geoff
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

Next time Geoff , You'll have to come with us  Wink

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
louie090
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »

nice find neil

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal