Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: My very first hoard  (Read 5592 times)
david995

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »

if someones garden backs onto the field,  maybe someone from the house just chucked them into the field ?

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »

Hmmm, or maybe a thief dumped them and made off with the notes and more valuable items. I will knock at one of the houses and make enquiries to see if I can expect to find anything of higher value and return it to them.  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

Chris, thinking along those lines, what do most people do with 'small change' from holidays.  Throw it in a drawer and forget it.  Maybe that's where it's come from, possibly when some one has moved house or passed away and the Rellies have cleared stuff out.
Bit of a mystery. Will be interesting to see if anything else turns up.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »

It is in deed very strange Val! Maybe folks would throw out the foreign coins but I would have thought that they would have kept the decimals and spent them. There was no sign of any box, tin, or package that the coins may have been kept in.

I have had a number of pieces of copper drive bands off anti-aircraft shells in the same field but as I have said...............all the coins were minted well after the war. Perhaps the answer is going to be very simple explanation? Whilst recently detecting a building project on an old sports ground, I recovered over £30 in decimal coinage as well as plenty of pre-decimals. I also got many coins that were cut, chopped, and hacked. I was only when my wife, Margaret, said "grass mowers" that the little mystery of the cut coins was solved.  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Richie sixpence

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »

Hi Chris
Congratulations on your first hoard  Smiley

Regards Richie sixpence  Wink

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »

Thanks Richie. Me thinks that there may be even more to come!  Wink

Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 08:12:01 AM »

Chris, myself and Grego went onto a newly cut field a few weeks ago. We both found quite a few Spanish, Greek and Maltese coins just behind a house and presume that they've been thrown out as not spendable now. It doesn't explain the  decimal coins that you found but that is probably why the yankee coins are there.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »

I think I would go for the idea that they were dumped after a burglary or somesuch - when my parents' house was burgled, they took anything in what looked like jewellery boxes - but it was all full of the more special (for us) roman dig finds - so a few bronze buttons and the nicer fragments of drinking vessel glass. I can imagine the whole lot getting dumped somewhere.

Once when I was out walking with my mother, I came across a scatter of cufflinks in an alley - and it's quite possible that they too were from a theft - although it was also possible they were just lobbed over the wall as rubbish (although one was 9ct and one was solid silver).
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »

Hi Chris & Probono,
                                 the solution to the puzzle of the coins in the field is still on hold but I am hoping that the farmer will gather in the winter wheat this week and I will be able to extend my search. Will keep you posted of any more finds on this web.  Wink

Richie sixpence

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »

Thanks Richie. Me thinks that there may be even more to come!  Wink

I'm sure there will be Chris good luck with it my friend and HH  Wink

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »

I revisited the field on Saturday and went directly to the small area where the coins came from. I must have done a good job of investigating the coin spill; I was unable to find an other single coin in that location.

The standing wheat had been harvested in  and all straw removed from the field. Confronted by only stubble, I fanned out from the original small area and swung low and slow as I moved outwards. Not a single coin to be found anywhere within twenty yard of my starting point. Pondering the original find, I contemplated the fact that there had been no coins within two foot or so of the property fence that backed onto my field. Perhaps the coin spill was just about in the are that one would land in if you were to jump down from the fence!

Before leaving for home, I had a quick chat with the house owners adult daughter and she informed me that the house had been burgled several time in the past but I would have to talk with her father to find out any details.

If the burglars had accessed and left the property via the back fence, dropping coins has they left, I wonder if they may have dropped more valuable items on the property side of the fence?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal