Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The mystery of a ruined Snowdonia cottage's 100 shoes  (Read 3870 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

Courtesy of BBC online 24th September 2010

Workers restoring a 300-year-old ruined cottage in Snowdonia have dug up a mystery under its fireplace. Almost 100 single shoes were discovered at Gelli Iago, a home which has been uninhabited for more than 50 years.

The National Trust, which acquired the property after 1998's Save Snowdon campaign, is appealing to the public for an answer to the mystery.

"Why would someone keep these single shoes and hide them under a fireplace?" said the trust's Rhys Evans.

The discovery was made by contractors working to save the cottage's external walls and chimney stack. The shoes are thought to date from the Victorian period.

"We're baffled by this strange discovery," said Mr Evans, the trust's manager for Snowdonia.

"We know the house was probably built sometime during the 17th Century and that it is one of the oldest buildings remaining in Nant Gwynant," he said.

"But very little is known about who lived here over the centuries."

One explanation the trust is looking at is the "concealed shoes" phenomenon - an ancient and superstitious practice aimed at guarding a house against bad luck. It was thought that a worn shoe was a manifestation of a person as it retained the shape of the foot, the trust explained. It therefore had a certain power to guard against perceived evil forces.

"No one knows what became of the other shoe but it has been speculated that one was placed in fire (the hearth or chimney) and the other in water (a river or lake), said a spokesman.

"Perhaps there was also some reassurance of the symbolic presence of their ancestors, especially if placed in the centre of the home under the hearth."

More than 1,000 recorded concealed shoes discoveries have been made in the UK, the earliest dating back to the 14th Century.

If the Gelli Iago shoes were proved to have been concealed, then it would represent the largest hoard to have been found in the UK, said the trust.

Another theory is that the shoes could merely be old stock hoarded by a cobbler.
When acquired in 1998 the roof at Gelli Iago had already collapsed and its chimney and external walls were in a precarious state, said the trust.

A decision was made to salvage the ruin before it was lost forever.

Funds from the Snowdonia Appeal have helped to stabilize the building and prevent it collapsing, the trust said, though it is appealing for more donations.

Gelli Iago cottage was acquired in the 1998 Save Snowdon campaign "Knowing more about Gelli Iago would greatly help with our fundraising efforts and with deciding what use this significant old cottage could have in the future," said Mr Evans.

"We need the public to help us solve this mystery and to help us build a better picture of life at Gelli Iago over the centuries."

The National Trust is appealing for volunteers to help with cleaning and restoring the shoes and to research the history of Gelli Iago using local archives and census returns.

Anyone interested in volunteering or anyone with information about Gelli Iago and the people who have lived there can either call at the National Trust's Craflwyn centre near Beddgelert, email rhys.evans@nationaltrust.org.uk or telephone 01766 510123.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »

perhaps the owner was a centipede.. Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »

gonna need a load  of cherry blossom for that lot lol  Grin

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

Youve put your foot in that 1 nobby well
1 wont hurt so put your best foot forward
 Grin Grin Grin

Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »

nice story neil welldone for putting it on.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
saxonman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »

MY BRO UP IN NORTH WALES HAS AN 18TH CENTURY FARM HOUSE...HE FOUND WHILE SEARCHING AND RENOVATING  THE MASSIVE FIREPLACE THEY HAVE,ABOUT FOUR CHILD SHOES PLACED IN ALCOVES BEHIND THE HEARTH..HIS WIFE SAYS THEY WERE PLACED THERE TO BRING LUCK TO THE CHILDREN OF THE HOUSEHOLD...OBVIOUSLY THEY WERE PLACED BACK WHERE THEY WERE FOUND.NOT SURE IF THEY WERE PAIRS OR NOT THOUGH...GWIL.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »

Thats interesting Gwil - I have heard of this tradition before and thought it would make an interesting post.

All a bit odd in todays society, but seemed common way back when. My wife is like the Emelda Marcos of Cardiff and has more shoes than most departement stores! No chance she'll hide them in our fire places though! Wink

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »

What a strange coincidence, i am in the process of digging out all the coal dust and earth out of my basement in readiness for a new concrete floor, and lo and behold after moving approx 4 tons of the 30 odd tons in there i have uncovered over 20 shoe ,

i wondered what they were doing there, i wonder , and how many more will i find?

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

Mike - if they have an age to them and are in goodish condition - my mum can sell them for you via her Antique Fayres if you want? Pm me more details if you like.

Funny thread this is - strange it seems to be a tradition we have lost"

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »

No Neil i didn't take much notice of the condition , and to be honest i didn't think anything of them , and just threw them in with the backfill,

But i'll look more closesly when i dig more out and let you know

They say ignorance is bliss, but sometimes it can be a curse.

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »

try and find one with the foot still in it!!!... Grin Grin Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

Thats what i'm dreading finding ,,,,,,, or ... at least i'll get my basement dug out free by forensics

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

they can do my garden while there at it Grin,,,,second thoughts maybe not Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete