Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: French workers in court over gold treasure theft of £720,000!  (Read 3127 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:50 AM »

Hmmm - Our man Napoleon has been a tad quiet of late . . . Roll Eyes

Three French workers are to appear in court on charges of stealing gold worth 900,000 euros ($1.2m; £720,000) from a property they worked on, a local French newspaper reports.

They are said to have been levelling land at a house in Normandy for several days when they discovered the 16 gold bars and 600 US $20-gold coins.

The treasure, which was found in glass jars, may have been hidden on the property during World War Two.

A coin collector has also been charged.

Rather than alert the owners of the house to their discovery, the workers, aged 20, 33 and 40, decided to steal the gold and sell it to a local coin collector, it is alleged.

But tax officials were alerted when one of the workers deposited two high-value cheques in his bank account.

When investigators caught up with them, they confessed to their crime, according to the report in regional daily Paris Normandie (in French).

The three are soon to appear at court in Evreux, north-west of Paris.

The collector will also appear in court, charged with handling stolen goods, which he denies.

Each gold bar weighs a kilogramme (2.2lb), while the 600 gold coins, dating from 1924 to 1927, weigh 33g (1.2oz) each, the newspaper said.

According to local police, the three workers "had fun" with their new-found fortune, buying cars or motorcycles, but also investing in life insurance or in their homes.

The house owners, who wish to remain anonymous, live in a small village in the Eure department in north-western France and had asked for their details and that of the crime, which happened some time ago, not to be revealed.

"You know, nobody knows about this story, even my children do not know... Since the police called me to tell me what happened, I have found it hard to sleep," the owner is quoted as saying by the newspaper.

She is also reported as having told the workers jokingly as they started the work: "If you find any treasure, be sure to tell me!"

* _76863436_76863431.jpg (64.27 KB, 624x351 - viewed 956 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »

Shocked oulala je vais aller en prison Neil aurevoir mes amis,  Grin first they need to find me.great write up Monsieur Neil.allons enfant de la patrie le jour de gloire est arriver ----------
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »

Interesting report Neil.  Have to say what a trio of plonkers.  Fell into the old trap didn't they. Just could wait to spend, spend, spend.  They should have watched The Great Train Robbery.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »

An interesting report. I recall a similar find of coins in London. The hidden coins belonged to a Jewish family who had hidden them during WWII and one of them returned to England from Israel to reclaim them.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

Well remembered Resurgam this one I think you mean
http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=8693.0
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »

Spot on Geoff; that's the one! As I remember it; there was no mention of a reward being given to the worker who actually uncovered the jar full of US gold dollars.  Sad

Having just resurfaced; I need to pm you over an other matter and will do so a little later.

Chris  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »

Spot on Geoff; that's the one! As I remember it; there was no mention of a reward being given to the worker who actually uncovered the jar full of US gold dollars.  Sad

Having just resurfaced; I need to pm you over an other matter and will do so a little later.

Chris  Smiley
Mange tout, there very very very naughty boys I would have taken it to a Abaravon buried it and then dug it up in front of Mr Badger,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »

Hasn't Badger got enough gold already? Wink

galoshers

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »

money laundering regs would have caught them out and french bureaucracy  is a devil to cope with

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal