Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you ready for the Viking Apocalypse? Norse myth predicts world ends Saturday  (Read 4019 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 19, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »

By Nathan Klein

We’ve survived the Mayan apocalypse and Y2K, but be afraid – the end of the world is coming…again.

This time it’s the Viking apocalypse that is allegedly set to destroy Earth, with Norse mythology claiming the planet will split open and unleash the inhabitants of Hel on February 22.

According to the Vikings, Ragnarok is a series of events including the final predicted battle that results in the death of a number of major gods, the occurrence of various natural disasters and the subsequent submersion of the world in water.

Apocalypse now: People in York dress as Vikings as part of the Jorvik Viking Festival. It comes as the Viking community prepare for the Norse apocalypse called Ragnarok this Saturday, in which the Earth is predicted to split open and gods will battle for supremacy.

The world was set to be destroyed by an asteroid, or some other interplanetary object such as an alien invasion on December 21, 2012. Scientists said this wasn't possible... and were proved right.

THE BLACK HOLES
A number of groups claimed that activation of the Large Hadron Collider experiment would bring about the end of the world through the production of planet-eating micro black holes on September 10, 2008. Similar claims were made two years later.

THE NUCLEAR WAR
In 2003, Japanese cult Aum Shinrikyo predicted the world would be destroyed by a nuclear war sometime between October 30 and November 29.

THE NATURAL DISASTERS
Yoruba priests in Nigeria predicted dramatic tragedy and crisis in 2002, including coups, war, disease, and flooding.

THE MILLENIUM BUG
Predictions a Y2K computer bug would crash computers and cause major catastrophes worldwide when the clock ticked over to midnight on January 1, 2000. Planes were tipped to fall out of the sky and electronic gadgets were predicted to malfunction, ultimately resulting in society ceasing to exist.

The wolf Fenrir is also predicted to break out of his prison, the snake Jormungand will rise out of the sea and the dragon of the underworld will resurface on Earth to face the dead heroes of Valhalla – who, of course, have descended from heaven to fight them.

Legend has it the sound of the horn will call the sons of the god Odin and the heroes to the battlefield, before Odin and other ‘creator gods’ will be killed by Fenrir.
The Vikings believe the Ragnarok is preceded by the ‘winter of winters’, where three freezing winters would follow each other with no summers in between.

All morality would disappear and fights would break out all over the world, signalling the beginning of the end.

The wolf Skoll would then devour the sun, and his brother Hati would eat the moon, causing stars to fall out of the sky and the Earth subjected to tremendous earthquakes.

Should Saturday be the day, the world will then be restored and will be inhabited by the surviving gods and just two human survivors - with the Earth sinking into the sea and paving the way for a new utopian land with endless supplies.

Another part of the legend claims that the Midgard Serpent, named Jormungand, shall free itself from its tail and rise up from the ocean, with believers claiming this had already occurred when two giant fish washed up on the coast of California last year.
Ragnarok, which is literally translated to mean ‘Fate or Twilight of the Gods’ or ‘Final Destiny of the Gods’ is based on a 13th century poem written by Snorri Sturluson.
Modern day Vikings warriors have already begun preparing for the apocalypse by converging on the UK town of York to celebrate the Jorvik festival – an excuse for grown men to dress up and swing wooden swords at each other.
The festival’s finale on Saturday will see about 300 warriors march through the city, before rival tribes participate in an ‘ultimate battle’.
The Jorvik Viking Centre predicted that Ragnarok would occur on 22 February because this is the end of the feast of Jolablot.
Traditionally, the Viking festival of Jolablot marked the end of the winter.

While not a scientific conclusion, they claim that Vikings loved to feast and wouldn't want to miss this event.
And if nothing happens on Saturday, Ragnarok will join a list of hundreds of other failed predictions for the end of the world, including the Mayan apocalypse on December 21, 2012 – which convinced many the Earth would be destroyed by an asteroid – and Y2K on January 1, 2000.

* article-2562584-1B9F7EA800000578-607_634x424.jpg (57.42 KB, 634x424 - viewed 449 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »

Yes please Neil, is this the sign-up thread?

I'm afraid I missed the Mayan one 'cos I was too busy diggin'  Grin

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
Mrs Steptoe

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »

Bring it on!
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »

vikings pfftttt  Grin Grin
big fish , damn i sold my rods 2 weeks ago  Sad Sad
feast and be merry  Cheesy Cheesy

the mighty xp Deus
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »

Does this mean that the next rally will be cancelled  Huh Huh

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
keepmateethinajar

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin......to me the end of the world was when the sand came back on the beach at barry Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

tis better to have loved a short women....than to never have loved a tall
wayno

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »

Any 0ne Want to sell their detectors cheap now before the end comes at least you can spend the money on a good P*** up Friday night and not worry about any hang overs  lol

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »

someones gonna be right one day lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »

We had better have another rally quickly

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »

Just read that Neil - Oohh me ed hurts..  Grin

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
CUT/HALF

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »

Wonder if I could win the lottery beforehand. Wishful thinking  Grin .
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »

Better all bury your hoards  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal