Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dublin Mint At Its Height During Viking Period..!!!  (Read 2547 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »

Sitric a Viking King of Dublin was sitting in families power base when the battle of Clontarf (1014) took place and Sitric took no part as his wealthy traders and merchants who amassed a fortune in gold and silver with their trading links with the rest of europe over generations..The Irish ,Vikings and Manx Vikings were slaughtered in great numbers.The royals were forced out of Dublin about 1020 and seems they took the Sitric coin dies to the Northern Plain in Isle of Man where they had a power enclave for many years and they minted coins with blundered legends..(Hiberno Manx)..This enclave probably disappeared with Godred Crovans (fought on losing Viking side at Stamford Bridge 1066) but gained a)victory at Skyhill near Ramsey 1079.....The Manx mint seems to disapper at this time and we still looking for it Smiley The hoards are believed to be for Bullion (silver weight)deals ..About twenty hoards from this trouble period have been found ov er the last 200yrs  and i am sure many more yet to be found by detectorists Smiley
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »

A interesting read ta for posting Wink

A coin was struck in Bristol for Irish use its called William Wood's Hibernia coinage,
its one im going to add to my Bristol collection when a nice one comes along Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:49:37 PM »

Very interesting Rob, one day somebody must come across it

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »

A very interesting read.

Grego
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »

Interesting read Rob but I feel I should stick up for Sitric (Sigtrygg) a bit here, the earliest Norse sagas do put him at the battle and in fact they say he was chased from the field by none other than Óspak of Man who was fighting on the side of Brian Boru (Sitrics farther in law) but he wasn't forced out as a result of that, he did have to abdicate in 1036 but only after a decline in fortunes from it's hight in 1030 during which time he set up the a colony in Gwynedd and his great- great grandson was Gruffydd ap Cynan "King of all Wales".
Nobody really won at Clontarf only those who lived Wink
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:21:22 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »

A coin was struck in Bristol for Irish use its called William Wood's Hibernia coinage,
its one im going to add to my Bristol collection when a nice one comes along Wink

Didn't know that the wood's coinage was struck in Bristol.....
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

Didn't know that the wood's coinage was struck in Bristol.....

surprisingly it was, you've probably worked out by now that the Rosa Americana was also struck in Bristol.......Some of them are very rare, in a American coin book its priced over 1000 $ in fine Smiley
nonker10

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »

i like all the gruyffedd aps they put up a good fight.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

Interesting read Rob but I feel I should stick up for Sitric (Sigtrygg) a bit here, the earliest Norse sagas do put him at the battle and in fact they say he was chased from the field by none other than Óspak of Man who was fighting on the side of Brian Boru (Sitrics farther in law) but he wasn't forced out as a result of that, he did have to abdicate in 1036 but only after a decline in fortunes from it's hight in 1030 during which time he set up the a colony in Gwynedd and his great- great grandson was Gruffydd ap Cynan "King of all Wales".
Nobody really won at Clontarf only those who lived Wink

Recent reseach shows that Brodir and Ospar the Manx Vikings chiefs took a army of many Manx Vikings to fight on the opposing side against the great Irish king Brian Boru and were probably instrumental in the death of the great king when they found Brian Borus headquarters undefended as the Manx retreated of battle field and they are reputed to have kiled him there and then..There was a terrible revenge imposed on Manx forces and very few of the original fleet got back to my home of home town of Peel .. Sad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal