Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is the e trac as deep as  (Read 4403 times)
jondav

« on: February 04, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »

Im thinking of buying an e trac,but the spec on the sensitivity only goes up to 30 , while the sensitivity on the explorer reaches 32 ,not much difference ,but does this mean on paper at least ,that the explorer is deeper,the videos i,ve seen of the e trac seem to give shorter choppier signals ,quicker recovery maybe ,but at the expense of depth?
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »

I think you'll find the scales of sensitivity going up to 30 and 32 respectively has nothing to do with the depth capabilities of a machine. For instance the sensitivity 0n a whites DFX goes up to 100 , this does not mean the sensitivity of the DFX is 3 times more sensitive than the explorer range.

Listening to the signals being shorter ,choppier also does not mean quicker recovery as the signal respose can be altered to Short, Normal and long on the etrac.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »

As Taff has said the numbers on the sensitivity scale are unique to that particular make and model, so can't be compared. The tones on the etrac and explorer SE are different from the explorer XS and II and are more user friendly and so are easier to learn when just learning the Minelabs.
Where the Etrac is "deeper" is on ground that is higher in mineralisation, you can run with more sensitivity and it doesn't punish you by falsing as much as it would with the explorers at the same level.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:34:41 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »

If you should buy an E Trac depends if you have previous Minelab multi-freq experience as they are
different to single frequency machines.  They are quite weighty...so factor that in.

Also, it depends on the price. If you can get a good second hand one for £600-700 then not so bad.
They are falling in price now and will drop even further if/when Minelab bring out a replacement.

I know I'm an XP Deus addict but they have JUST adapted the Deus to be used in a non motion
discrimination mode and the depth is mineralised ground is phenomenal. It's pretty good in motion
mode as well!

Depth isn't the be all, but the recovery speed between targets is the best on the market. They're
pricey at the moment so if this is a problem the E Trac could be your best bet.

Rob
Rally attendee

No0b

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »

The ETrac is an amazing machine in the right hands and can be made even better with coils such as the SEF range

I Use.....
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Since I started detecting seriously 18 months ago (and put in hundreds of hours!) I started with the Bulgarian detector Golden Mask 3+, then changed to Etrac and finally switched to the Teknetics T2SE or LTD. I've learnt that each machine has its plus and minus points and these tend to depend on the type of land you go on.
My impartial summary is as follows:
GM3+ (£300 used), inexpensive, robust, deep on all ground, but heavy, gives good signals on iron  Angry, hard to ground balance
Etrac (£750 used), robust, deep on pasture, very adaptable, sensitive to small stuff, awesome discrimination, but expensive, a bit heavy, steep learning curve, some modes can be hard on the ears
T2SE (£600 used). easy to use, light, deep on pasture/hard ground, great amongst iron, good discrimination but it doesnt perform so well in ploughed/rolled soil, also tends to miss the odd tombac, pewter and smaller lead things.

I'd advise you to try out as many machines out on your local ground before you choose one (if you can that is)

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »

when i was in spinal tap all our amps went up to 11 Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal