Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: safari  (Read 4208 times)
digger

« on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the Safari is just an upgraded Quattro, or is it any good?
Thinking of maybe buying one as a back-up to my Fisher75. Unbiased replies please.     Stan
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

Difficult question to answer really. The Safari took the place of the Quatro, but rather than being an upgraded Quatro it is more a downgraded Etrac as it has the same updated processors and obviously the Pro coil, the learning curve is not as great with the Safari as it was for the Quatro and the Audio is imho far better.
The only real problem, if that's the right word, that the Quatro had was it's "erratic" behaviour on some UK sites due to the iron contamination making it apear as if it had been developed more for the US or home (OZ) market.
So I guess the answer is yes and no.
But on the any good question......yes very.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:09:23 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
digger

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »

Thanks Chef, anyone else got any opinions. Good and bad please.
trojan

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »

in my opinion as an avid quattro user, i think the safari is an upgraded quattro, the safari took over from the quattro. i have tried the safari out on several occasions just to see what the difference is between the 2 detectors, and i think the safari has the edge in a couple of ways

if you look at the pre-sets on both machines, they are exactly the same , and you will need to change them as both machines settings are for US ground conditions, you cant just switch on and go as it states in the manual, not here in UK anyway...when i used the safari, i had to make the same changes as i did on my quattro, and i found it did as good a job as my quattro. i use various coils on my quattro, and i switched them back and fore each machine, and spent a long time on both beach and farm land testing the 2 machines, the audio is better on the safari , detection depth is the same(if using the same 11" coil), response time is a little faster.

i tested the safari against my trusty quattro using the following coils and headphones

Koss UR30 Headphones
12 x 10" SEF Detech Coil
 8 x 6" super SEF Detech Coil
15 x 12" SEF Detech Coil
10x14" Eliptical Slimline D/D Coil
7x4.5" D.D Elliptical Coil
10.5" standard coil for quattro/explorer

i did get better results on trashy areas, and i found the safari to be a bit more stable on iron infested sites, but in all honesty not alot more stable

the whole interface is exactly the same as the quattro the pre sets are the same,

differences
safari:: 
1. upgraded micro chip same as e-trac chip  = faster memory allocation and software performance allowing for faster response time and audio response
2. standard coil= 11" Pro search coil  allowing for greater depth detection
3. exactly the same buttons as the quattro except different pictures on the safari buttons uses an open book picture instead of the words menu select
4. improved discrimination filtering circuitry (for USA conditions) does show some improvement for uk conditions also

Quattro ::
1. uses an explorer s micro chip  gives the same performance as the explorer range of detectors
2. standard 10.5" DD coil  not as good a coil as the 11" pro search coil

is the safari better than a quattro ?  i think the safari does have the edge on the quattro,

would i purchase a Safari ? yes i would, but only when my quattro ceases to function

E-Track CTX 3030
digger

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

Hi Trojan, thanks for all that useful info. What tweaks did you have to do? And was
it on all programmes? Cheers Stan
StumbledUpon

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »

Top machine Stan,Im using one at the moment. Head and shoulders above the quattro {my first machine)  minelab   have sorted all the problems of the quattro out. Like  Trojan said you must alter the settings. Use conduct sounds otherwise you'll miss a ton of stuff!! Always go by the audio,Dig ALL low tones, mixed high/low tones and high bouncers -/+ and you'll clean up. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:23:09 PM by maxine » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »

Top machine Stan,Im using one at the moment. Head and shoulders above the quattro {my first machine)  minelab   have sorted all the problems of the quattro out. Like  Trojan said you must alter the settings. Use conduct sounds otherwise you'll miss a ton of stuff!! Always go by the audio,Dig ALL low tones, mixed high/low tones and high bouncers -/+ and you'll clean up. Smiley

I agree with what Maxine is saying. Dig to -4 with high tones (from memory) as a coin with a bit of iron corrosion will come out in this range. Hammereds were low numbers with growl.

I used the Quattro for a bit and in my opinion, it's FAR better than the Quattro: I'm surprised at Trojan's reply which
basically says it's just a bit better.

To get anywhere near acceptable recovery speed the Quattro had to be used in all metal. Not so with the Safari.

To be honest, with the price of the E Trac having nosedived recently you can pick up a brand new ET for £900
and second hand about £700.............why not go for an ET.

I use an XP Deus now and wouldn't go back to a multi-freq Minelab at the moment.....but that's another story and
you've to make up your own mind.

StumbledUpon

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »

If you can get a new Et for 900 then I'd go for that Stan if youre buying new, best machine on the market at the moment,it will leave the Deus  standing!  Smiley
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »

If you can get a new Et for 900 then I'd go for that Stan if youre buying new, best machine on the market at the moment,it will leave the Deus  standing!  Smiley

Ouch, Max!!!

That's your opinion, I know previous and current E T users that would not agree with you. Me and Karl have done tests and neither has been able to beat the other. And, remember the Deus is using a 9" coil. It'll be a whole new ball game
in two months when the 13"x11" coil is added to the Deus.

BUT, for £900 the E T is the best buy..........even better second hand.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal