Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: At a DW rally. What is your method of detecting.  (Read 2807 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »

When you arrive at a rally what are your methods of detecting. I ask this question after some discussion after the Bristol 2 day rally. I was made aware of some lumps and bumps in field 9 and 13 by Geoff (chef) and all bar a hour and a half on Sunday morning I spent the rest of my time griding in these fields on the lumps and bumps covering an area of probably less than half a football pitch. Given all the land that was available and my decision to stick to this area I was rewarded 22 coins including my first DW hammered, a couple of nice buckles, some silver and a couple of snuff/ compact tins which was my best rally haul by a mile. Was this luck or not is debatable but at the next rally I plan on trying this method again. I just wandered what other people do at rallies and have you tried this as normally I just tend to wander off with no plan.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:41:40 PM by Waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »

I turn on my detector Huh
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

hi paul

we adopt a similar approach, however we do select different fields to do in am then pm as we also want to see the views of the area.

we sometimes aim for high ground in morning -when we feel fit - low ground in pm.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »

Nice one Phil I asked for that.  Roll Eyes
DOOOOOOH
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:11:10 PM by Waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

I turn on my detector Huh
I was wondering why the two of you always head straight for the cover of the trees.

Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »

where there's trees, ppl did stop there in the past -- good place for coin drops!!!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
waltonbasinman
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

Joking aside Leighton trees are good to search round as before the age of tractors they were the first thing farm labourers jumped under when it started hammering down. Stood there with there hands in there pockets it can be a good find spot. My hammered at Bristol was the result of heading towards an Oak tree that was at least four hundred years old. As Alan says productive places around trees especially ones with some age.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »

at the next rally I plan on trying this method again.
Oh no you won't, after 22 coins, I'm not telling you next time Grin
Junkman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »

Whenever I get the Rally details, i'm stright on to Google earth to actually see the site and spot anything obvious in terms of features and also looking for features in the surrounding area that may give some clues.

I'll also do some research on the surrounding area- known history etc etc.

I print out the google images and mark anything of note on them and also print off an OS map of the area as it will show paths, ponds and other areas of note. Maps go into a waterproof plastic pouch so I can carry them with me.

Turn up at the rally and eyeaball the actual terrain in relation to the printed maps. Looking for silted up ponds, trackways, lumps, bumps, any WATER (very important- People and animals (with people) need to drink), tree lines across field denoting old hedgelines etc

Then head for where your instincts and research take you rather than follow the herd.

Over the years, this approach has resulted in some really outstanding failures...................

Still, it's good to know there is methodology to my failure Roll Eyes

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »

It,s all luck of the draw really Roll Eyes you can research things inside out upside down Cry and still  as neil admin keeps telling me  YOU HAVE TO GO OVER IT TO FIND IT Wink

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

my method of tectin at a dw rally is a bit like a participant of the battle of normandy,,,,,,  SPRAY AND PRAY Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Junkman

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »

It,s all luck of the draw really Roll Eyes you can research things inside out upside down Cry and still  as neil admin keeps telling me  YOU HAVE TO GO OVER IT TO FIND IT Wink

More importantly, YOU HAVE TO GO OVER WHERE SOMEONE LOST IT. Only when you have fullfilled this first part comes the YOU HAVE TO GO OVER IT TO FIND IT.

You could spend your whole lifetime detecting on Mars but you won't find much Embarrassed

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »

i allways search around tree.s myself.
children would play on the trees with they.re parents proberbly sitting near the tree.
maybe sit in the shade on a hot day..as paul said cover from the rain.
found a lot of coins around trees paul.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal