Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddle of the sands  (Read 2754 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: July 14, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »

Talacre sands off the coast of North East Wales is one great big three dimensional jigsaw puzzle and it can be rewarding but at the same time very frustrating. The beach is littered with the leftovers from being a WWII air to ground target range for the RAF and the USAF. Fortunately the old mine fields were cleared in 1945 but .303, .30, .50, and 20mm projectiles still litter large areas of the beach and one has to work patiently to get at the goodies that are hidden between the shrapnel and the bullets.

I have worked the sands with a CS4PI and also a Garrett Euro Ace. Since upgrading to a MineLab Safari in January, slowing down my sweep speed, keeping the coils as close to the sand as possible, and improving my research of the area; the beach has slowly begun to give up more coins both new and old.

The fact that two WWII fighter planes bounced the crest of the dunes, collided with the anti invasion poles and then disintegrated killing both pilots; explains some of the strange items and live rounds that are occasionally recovered by detectorists there. The copper maritime nails that I have recovered also give witness to the many old shipwrecks that litter the Dee estuary and Liverpool Bay.  Wink

* Talacre Safari.jpg (129.4 KB, 356x516 - viewed 1375 times.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:50:58 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »

You certainly seem to be getting to grips with the "SAFARI" well they say that persistents pays!!
Nice bit of history about the ww 2 aircraft crash,do you happen to know what type of aircraft they were?
A good selection of finds too,well found,well done.👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »

One of the aircraft was a USAF Mustang and the other was an RAF Spitfire. I think it was the Mustang that misjudged his angle of attack and crashed through the target situated on top of the dunes and then collided with the anti-invasion poles. The Spitfire pilot committed a similar error and his aircraft was also demolished by the anti-invasion poles. Both pilots were killed. If you are interested, I can dig out the pilots names, dates of the crashes, and a few other details.

If you pm me your email address, I can email you a copy of an old WWII map for the area that shows the WWII defences and minefields. I could also email you some links for information about shipwrecks in the area.

Some of the clues that I am presently working with are a little like Chinese Whispers, but I keep it all on record until I can obtain more accurate information. The MOD confirmed that the area was mined and provided me with map references for the mine fields but due to the condition of their Microfiche records were unable to inform me as to what models of land mine were used or if they were all accounted for when the fields were cleared. A metal detectorist, that has a caravan on the same site as us, did find a live WWII hand-grenade in the area.

From the Point of Ayr to Presthaven is approximately two mile and from the high water line to the low is about half a mile; so there is a good two square miles of sand to go at, but it takes a great deal of patience and determination to work ones way through the WWII scrap. Just like a jigsaw; the pieces are slowly fitting together to give a better picture. Parking at Talacre was always free but this year they are installing pay machines and charging for parking.

I'm going to give it a go this coming Sunday and see if I can sniff out some Victorian coins and some 20 mm brass cartridge cases. As for the Safari; it seems to like the beach and as long as I keep resetting the noise cancel and am prepared to pop the sensitivity on manual occasionally I have very few problems with it. It's a great beach machine.  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:06:25 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal