Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you solve the code in the sword?  (Read 2398 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 19, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

By Sarah Griffiths and Sam Tonkin  

A medieval sword that carries a mysterious inscription has baffled historians for centuries.

Little is known about double-edged weapon, least of all the meaning behind a cryptic 18-letter message running down the central groove which reads: NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI.

Now The British Library have appealed for the public’s help in cracking the conundrum.

So far it’s been suggested it may be a battle-ready phrase in medieval Welsh, the first letters from a poem or even complete gibberish fabricated by an illiterate craftsman.

The weapon was found at the bottom of the River Witham in Lincolnshire in 1825, but it’s believed the 13th century sword originally belonged to a medieval knight.

'It's typical of the type of swords medieval knights and barons would have used at the time of King John and the Magna Carta, curator Julian Harrison told MailOnline.

It weighs almost 3lbs (1.2kg) and measures 38 inches (96cm) in length.

‘If struck with sufficient force, it could easily have sliced a man’s head in two,’ he writes in a British Library blog.  

The sword (pictured) weighs almost 3lbs (1.2kg) and measures 38 inches (96cm) in length. ‘If struck with sufficient force, it could easily have sliced a man’s head in two,’ curator Julian Harrison said

The indecipherable inscription is inlaid with gold wire and experts have speculated the letters are a religious invocation since the language is unknown.

The sword was possibly crafted in Germany, meaning it could be written in a version of that tongue.

Harrison said the suggestions are coming in thick and fast and described some of them as 'weird and wonderful'.

'There's nothing that has hit the nail on the head so far.'

'The variety of languages that people are speculating its written in is interesting from Sicilian to Welsh'.

Janet Kennedy believes CHWDRGHD – in the middle of the inscription – is a misspelling of the German word for sword, making ORVI a name.

However, Joe commented on the blog: ‘It looks like medieval Welsh: “No covering shall be over me,” possibly meaning the sword and it's' owner will always be ready for battle’.

Harrison said this suggestion sounds plausible at first, but having studied the language, he could find no evidence to back up the suggestion.

The sword is on display as part of the library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy and is on loan from the British Museum. It’s displayed alongside a 14th-century manuscript (pictured) of the Grandes chroniques de France, open at a page showing the French invasion of Normandy in 1203

'For a moment you jump and think someone might have spotted something you have missed...but then, no,' he said.

Anne Robertson reckons the letters may be the first from each line of a poem – something that’s been seen on other medieval artefacts.

A number of people have picked out certain letters which had particular meanings in Latin at the time, such as ND standing for ‘nostrum dominus’ meaning our Lord, and ‘X’ for Christ.

Harrison thinks this is the most probable idea so far 'but then it gets more complicated'.

'It's been suggested in the past that it's a relgious inscription and the sword may have been dropped in the river on purpose [for religious reasons] which was not uncommon,' he explained.

There is some debate as to whether the letter looking like a ‘W’ is actually an ‘M’.

A Dutch scholar is working on drawing parallels between the mysterious sword found in Lincolnshire and those  on display in museums in Berlin, for example, saying there are similar inscriptions.

However ‘Ring and Raven’ believes the inscription may be badly spelt or might not mean anything at all.

‘Saxon swords in particular often had inscriptions on them that didn't actually say anything because the people buying them (or making them) were illiterate.

‘People wanted swords with their names, or other cool inscriptions on them, and they could recognise the symbols but they couldn't actually read.

'So the blacksmiths just put any old letters on and called it a day,' they write, likening the practice to people accidentally getting meaningless Chinese symbol tattoos.

The sword is on display as part of the library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy and is on loan from the British Museum. Visitors can see the four surviving original copies of the Magna Carta (pictured) together for the first time since 1215

Harrison said: 'I'm not optimistic we'll ever find a definitive answer [as to what the inscription means] but it's a lovely game to play.'

It’s displayed alongside a 14th-century manuscript of the Grandes chroniques de France, open at a page showing the French invasion of Normandy in 1203.

The men-at-arms in that manuscript are wielding swords very similar to the one with the strange inscription, Harrison says.

The exhibition closes on September 1.

* 2B2C777600000578-3187667-image-a-2_1438936388214.jpg (37.26 KB, 634x515 - viewed 440 times.)

* 2B2C779200000578-3187667-image-a-1_1438936378912.jpg (38.22 KB, 634x407 - viewed 459 times.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:50:59 AM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
marknewbury1

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »

cracking story Neil hope the crack the code it's nice when you find something with writing on it I found a silver cockerel badge from 1650 odd probably warn by somebody in the civil war I found it in the Glamorgan area with Latin writing on it translate may God be with us who's against us the experts believe it could be from one of the Welsh familiesI've got a big hunch it could be long to one of the Morgans of Tredegar House as they own the land the badges from that timeI've done some research and a few members of the Morgan family fort in the civil war I found the badge close to where the battle was as the crow flies I  will never knowwill never know

* Wales_02.jpg (126.29 KB, 1373x1227 - viewed 651 times.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:41:31 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

Nice find Mark - I agree love finding anything inscribed, especially if its local and affords  the opportunity to research.

Any chance of seeing a photo of the cockerel?

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »

interesting post thanks for sharing  Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »

It translates into
"Many in number,large in size, I will always equalise"
Well you got to have a (stab) at it,ain't ya!!...LOL👍

Pages: [1]