Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: When cleaning goes too far.  (Read 8458 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »

You may remember that a couple of weeks ago I found a James I shilling, It was in relatively good condition but I thought a quick clean may just "lift it".

Unfortunately using my chosen method of silver foil and water proved the coin to be very debased silver, with very little reaction of the sulphide happening Sad
So it was into a white vinegar and salt solution to loosen up some of the black coating.  Embarrassed It's around about here that things went very wrong.................................I forgot about it...................overnight Shocked
Well as you can see below, it was certainly clean but the lack of some tarnish had flattened the coin making it very difficult to see any detail.
Now here's the point of the post. If you should find yourself being as "stupid" unlucky as me, all is not lost. If you place the (silver) coin in common household bleach it will turn black. With good silver this process will only take a couple of minutes but on this debased coin it took about 10. One thing that you must check is that the coin is perfectly free of grease, you can do this with either acetone or nail varnish remover. If you fail to do this you could end up with a perfectly formed fingerprint on the coin (I know because I did it Grin).
So with your coin back to black you can now start again and clean it back to a more controlled degree as below. Wink

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:38:37 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:49:31 AM »

Thats all very interesting info. Geoff. I'll do my best to remember it all. Grin

Now, can you tell me where to find a James 1 coin, PLEASE. Roll Eyes

Val

p.s. I have found a Cartwheel penny, all green. Will it work on that.? Smiley Smiley Guess it wont. Ah.Well.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »

Very informative post that Geoff. Are the proportions of white vinegar to salt your own concoction (secret)?
Would like to reduce some of the black on my Lizzy if possible and that sounds ideal.

Mike 

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »

Morning Mike, I would use silver foil personally on your Lizzy as it needs very little toning, but no secret, just pop a teaspoon of salt in a cup of vinegar and pop in the coin keep turning the coin so the cleaning is equal and also keep an eye on it Roll Eyes.
Relichunting uses this method so he will hopefully be able to give details of the finer points. Wink
You can make up a paste by adding the liquid to some flour, I've never tried it but I would imagine that in this form it would be more controlled.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:14:29 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
ysbytymike

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:31 AM »

Looking at this post again and wondering if there has in the past been any posts specifically on the cleaning of coins and artifacts.

I've been on the forum for several months now but have never heard of this or any method of cleaning finds (which to be honest)
is a pain for newcomers to the hobby, for fear of damaging or doing something silly to your hard earned and sometimes rare finds.

I've looked through Amazon and Googled with very little luck.

Perhaps a detailed explanation from people in the know in the various methods of cleaning, reducing, enhancing (as in detail of objects)
and made into a sticky as a reference to the newer member like myself. We at least have a starting point.
Sorry Geoff, you mention silver paper and water there but I don't know how that works!

A simple disclaimer stating that you carry out these procedures at your own risk should cover any comeback.

Cheers

Mike

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »

Good idea Mike, I'll see if Taff cant collate some info from different members and add it as a sticky.
The foil method I mentioned is simply a matter of  wetting the coin and wrapping it in kitchen foil and rub your fingers across the foil (not the foil across the coin so wet fingers will help them slide), you will immediately feel the coin getting hot and the smell...ohhh that smell......remember the good old days and getting your head over a tray of sepia toner ahhh yes that's the smell Cheesy
keep this up for only 30 secs then rinse with water and repeat if necessary.
ysbytymike

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »

My mucus membrane has never recovered from all those hours in the past, slaving in a tiny darkroom over trays of chemicals  Cheesy Cheesy

Cheers Geoff.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »

Mike that was REAL photography, mind you I still don't think colour film will catch on  Grin Grin Grin
Just think If it had been digital from the beginning, Ansel Adams would just of been another computer nerd.
ysbytymike

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »

Here you go Nobby..

http://www.anseladams.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=51

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »

his images look as fresh today as over 50 years ago

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

...................and you go on about me!  Grin

StumbledUpon

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »

Came good in the end Geoff, Smiley
Findmetoo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »

I found a nice Token and thought the domestos bleach would clean it ........Hmmmmm it turned it black and spoilt it. Thats the last time I try something without checking.....
Ray

Ray the ring finder
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »

Morning Mike, I would use silver foil personally on your Lizzy as it needs very little toning, but no secret, just pop a teaspoon of salt in a cup of vinegar and pop in the coin keep turning the coin so the cleaning is equal and also keep an eye on it Roll Eyes.
Relichunting uses this method so he will hopefully be able to give details of the finer points. Wink
You can make up a paste by adding the liquid to some flour, I've never tried it but I would imagine that in this form it would be more controlled.

Mike if your coin is in good condition VF for example then do not clean it full stop.

The foil method is good for common hammered coins,but never try it on anything that may be worth money for example a nice Saxon hammered.

I do not use salt and vinegar to clean silver coins

What I use for silver Roman coins covered in hard crud is a mix of olive oil and lemon juice,I gently heat the solution in a pan and leave the coin soaking I then use a tooth pick to remove any loose crud,I will repeat the process until I get the desired result.

A word of warning with this method make sure the Roman silver is not a silver wash or very debased silver as it will totally ruin it

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »

This is a Celtic unit I cleaned using the lemon juice/olive oil heated in a pan.

First thing to note before attempting this I made sure it was not worth a lot of money,because its a debased silver I knew it may totally ruin it

It was a nightmare to clean so it was my last resort

Ok has this made the coin worthless? probably yes

* IMG_10.JPG (91.9 KB, 400x533 - viewed 560 times.)

* IMG_20.jpg (93.62 KB, 400x568 - viewed 595 times.)

* IMG_30.jpg (66.49 KB, 500x375 - viewed 603 times.)

* IMG_40.jpg (57.06 KB, 500x375 - viewed 638 times.)

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal