Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: End Of Time Team  (Read 13645 times)
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »

Not be suprised if he got a detector at home  Grin.
galoshers

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »

' you smell of urine you old git '

'who are you to talk you old bald fart '
avalon

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »

Well I think the program has left a lasting legacy on our Countryside. My friend Roger Box discovered the Turkdean Roman villa in Gloucestershire and called in the Time Team to excavate it. When they finished the dig they were seen scattering copper coins on the surface of the field.  Angry

They were alledged to have scattered £500 of coins, so if these were 2 pence coins there would be 25000 in number and weigh 392 lb, which would no doupt have contaminated the grass land and they should be fined for deliberatly spreading toxic waste on the ground.  Angry

At the Witcome Roman villa site, where they did a 3 day dig, Tony Robinson spent a happy hour collecting Roman snails (Helix Pomatia) from the woodland to have a typical Roman feast.
That was untill I rang the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust and informed them what was happening on the live broadcast and the Roman snail is a protected species, and you are not even allowed to remove them from there habitat.
So much for there environmental team on the programme who made a point of saying that no wildlife was disturbed and the land was always reinstated to how it was before.  Bon appetit baldrick and good riddance!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:26:23 AM by avalon » Logged

cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »

i think  that i am the only one who is gutted that its finished Shocked Shocked Shocked I really enjoyed watching the program, and its what got me into detecting in the first place.
I, for one am sorry that its ended. Cry Cry

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »

No your not the only one Paul. It's true that the last few series' have been a little lame but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has taught me a great deal over the years or at least aroused my interest in certain subjects enough to make me go and find out more, which it probably has for most if they could only admit it.
avalon

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »

No your not the only one Paul. It's true that the last few series' have been a little lame but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has taught me a great deal over the years or at least aroused my interest in certain subjects enough to make me go and find out more, which it probably has for most if they could only admit it.

I was finding more before Time Team was on T.V, they should have stuck to digging, and not use it as a tool to debate the rights and wrongs of metal detecting.  Angry They were happy to use our technology in the background, but rarely allowed us to comment on the shows. Anything more than a distant view was frowned on, even though we found most of the interesting objects which made better viewing.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

Do you know something Steve now you come to mention it they never got the view of the digger driver either or the company who made the trowels or shovels or tape measures lol
Oh come on it was an Archaeology program not metal detecting (thank god) and as you say detecting was just a tool.
avalon

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »

They were quite happy to re-write history as the silver brooch with writing on found at Turkdean was found by Tim Hand (detectorist), not Phil as stated in the Time Team book.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:32:26 PM by avalon » Logged

cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »

I cant recall any episode of Time Team  broadcasting a  negative outlook or being used as as debate on the rights and wrongs on metal detecting? in fact quiet the opposite. A lot of the programmes were made because of detectorists finds on sites. This made the series all the more appealing to me. As for finding a lot more before Time Team was on TV, i don't understand what you are implying Avalon? Has the programme made Metal detecting more popular? If so then this can only be a good thing for the hobby in general... surely? Huh

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »

They were quite happy to re-write history as the silver brooch with writing on found at Turkdean was found by Tim Hand (detectorist), not Phil as stated in the Time Team book.  Wink
You bought the book Shocked Huh
avalon

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »

You bought the book Shocked Huh

No I read it in W.H.S. I don't read comic books anymore  Grin

avalon

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »

I cant recall any episode of Time Team  broadcasting a  negative outlook or being used as as debate on the rights and wrongs on metal detecting? in fact quiet the opposite. A lot of the programmes were made because of detectorists finds on sites. This made the series all the more appealing to me. As for finding a lot more before Time Team was on TV, i don't understand what you are implying Avalon? Has the programme made Metal detecting more popular? If so then this can only be a good thing for the hobby in general... surely? Huh

There have been programmes shown where they have voiced there opinion on metal detecting in a very negative way, which I believe has been damaging to the hobby, as many large estates where I go to gain permission now say detecting can only be carried out with a archaeologist being present, what's that all about!.

They were happy enough to show on every episode, a digger drivers digging deeper than the plough soil to find statification, yet as detectorists pulling out finds from the spoil heaps we never got a mention,they were more interested in zooming onto the cleevage of a young archaeologist, and ignoring detectorists who told them they were digging in the wrong place.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

Well I for one will also miss it.

I enjoyed the banter on the program and to be honest seeing the team grow up / older, even if I felt horrified sometimes by their digger use (they annoyed the archaeological community just as much as the detecting community).

I felt the last few series were not always as good, although they had some good episodes - personally I always felt more unhappy when they had a celeb on - to be honest I don't think they needed Mary-Ann in that series, but she wasn't that bad, I just don't think they needed an extra presenter.

I've not watched them so much recently, as I never know when they are on - I watch the More 4 repeats on a Saturday.

Being an 'in-betweener' - i.e someone who has experience a fair amount of archaeology and is also quite a keen detectorist I quite often feel uncomfortable with the comments from either end of the spectrum - for me it is about the history and the joy (experienced in archaeology too) of finding things.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »

The enjoyable 'Two Men in a Trench' series was about Battlefield Archaeology. However, the presenters, Neil Oliver and Tony Pollard always gave credit to detectorists for the finds they made during the surveys. They regularly featured the detectorists themselves on camera, when discussing the artefacts that had been unearthed. If Two Men in a Trench could have done it, then Time Team could have done so as well.

Neil Oliver on more than one occasion, has put his head above the parapet to defend the merits of responsible metal detecting. I am sure he will also be aware of the seedier side of the hobby, but unlike bald dick doesn't tar all detectorists with the same brush.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

Neil Oliver on more than one occasion, has put his head above the parapet to defend the merits of responsible metal detecting. I am sure he will also be aware of the seedier side of the hobby, but unlike bald dick doesn't tar all detectorists with the same brush.

And I think in the main that's my gripe - that all detectorists are tarred with the same brush. i'm not the greatest fan of Neil Oliver's presenting style, but he's gone up in my opinion (not that it was too low to start with).

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal