Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pennies for heir to the throne: 2,013 silver coins to be minted for children  (Read 1584 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 05, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »

By Rebecca English

Babies born on the same day as  the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first child will receive a ‘lucky’ silver penny, the Royal Mint announced yesterday.

An average of 1,983 children are born each day in the UK, so 2,013 of the commemorative coins have been struck to be sure there will be enough to go round. Each coin is worth £28 but parents can obtain one free by registering their child’s birth on the Royal Mint’s Facebook site.

The pennies are for babies born on the same day as the child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Evidence will be required later in the form of a birth certificate.
The pennies, marked 2013, feature a shield of the Royal Arms and will be sent out in a blue or pink purse.
They will be accompanied by a card  decorated with a teddy bear and the message ‘Solid sterling silver good luck penny.’
The Duke and Duchess’s baby, who will be third in line to the throne, is due to be born around the middle of this month.

Throughout history crossing the palm of a newborn baby with silver or offering them a silver penny was seen as a way to wish them wealth and good health throughout their life.

Shane Bissett, director of commemorative coins at the Royal Mint, said: ‘The birth of the royal baby will be a joyous occasion not just for Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge but also for the whole nation, as we prepare to celebrate another remarkable milestone in their life journey together.

'To celebrate the birth of the Royal Baby in our own special way, we're giving babies born in the UK on the same day as our future monarch a suitably royal welcome with one of 2,013 dated silver pennies,' say Royal Mint‘However it will also be a special day for many mothers and fathers across the country as they too welcome the arrival of their new baby, hence why we wanted to extend this historical moment to them with a lucky silver penny.’

Parents will have to register their child’s name on Facebook.com/theroyalmint within 60 days of their birth.
The Royal Mint has an unbroken history of minting British coinage dating back more than 1,000 years.
It makes a small profit each year, which will be used to pay for the baby coins.
It is likely the pennies will be hugely sought after, unlike many other royal baby souvenirs

* article-2354742-1AA83CC5000005DC-137_634x527.jpg (62.5 KB, 634x527 - viewed 854 times.)

* article-2354742-1AA83CD3000005DC-871_634x411.jpg (68.67 KB, 634x411 - viewed 864 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »

Oh Niel why didn't you tell me this a few months ago, I would have tried to
make sure my Mrs got pregnant the same time as her. , but there again maybe
my wife would have found out  Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
ancientpat

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

Can I show off, I have already got one but mine's dated 2012 !!!

Pat Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal