Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weapons of Giants: Huge Bronze Axes Discovered in Denmark  (Read 3510 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »

Weapons of Giants: Huge Bronze Axes Discovered in Denmark

A pine tree farmer in Denmark has made an astonishing discovery: five enormous Bronze Age axe heads buried in a field near Nørre Snede in Jutland, Denmark. Did these weapons belong to the legendary giants that are said to have inhabited the area?

Norse mythology is rife in stories about an ancient race of violent giants known as the Jötnar. Banished to Jötunheimr by the ruling divinities (the Æsir), these giants were oftentimes hostile to mankind.

But is there any historical backing to these tales? As a matter of fact, many believe the presence of giants in worldwide mythology was inspired by a race of flesh-and-bone humanoids of giant statures.

The Bronze Age axes were discovered by farmer Esben Arildskov and his brother-in-law. Before planting a field with pine tree saplings, Arildskov used a metal detector to search for any buried artifacts. To their amazement, the two men uncovered two giant bronze axe heads. The team of archaeologists called on site found three more.

The axe heads measure 12 inches (30 centimeters) in length and each one weighs two pounds. Dating revealed they were made sometime during the 16th century BC, making them one of the oldest weapons of their kind discovered in Denmark. They are twice as heavy as axe heads usually are, suggesting that the men who wielded them must have been giant in stature.

The purity of the metal used to craft the weapons suggest advanced metalworking techniques were employed 3,600 years ago. In all truthfulness, the giants of old were known as master craftsmen.

Archaeologists believe this amazing find is unprecedented. All over Europe, only five other giant bronze axes were found, never so many in one single place.

“I’m all electric,” said archaeologist Constanze Rassman, curator of Midtjylland Museum in Denmark. “Five such Bronze Age axes have been found in all Northern Europe to date, and then we go and find five more in one go. That’s fantastic!”

The axe heads are currently at the Midtjylland Museum, where archaeologists are studying and preserving them. After that, they will be placed on display at the National Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen. And if the artifacts prove too controversial, they will probably disappear along the way, like so many others.

* untitled.png (148.25 KB, 415x233 - viewed 346 times.)

* axe head.png (173.89 KB, 415x276 - viewed 383 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:43 PM »

Wow! Cheers for that Neil Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »

Nice piece Niel,very interesting read,
If you watched the "gladiator" film the opening shots featured a huge,gigantic,bloke,who ACTUALLY carried a huge AXE and spoke German/Scandinavian, seems that Ridley Scott did his homework !!..LOL👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20:02 AM »

I watched a series of programs recently about 2 Americans who were searching for proof of Giants. There are tales and even documented evidence that they were actual but mysteriously the bones of any that have been unearthed seem to have disappeared. This seems to be the case in many Countries.
Like is says in the article, if it proves to be too controversial things tend to disappear.  On the other hand, although they are bigger than the average, at 2lb they aren't that heavy. A bag of sugar weighs that much. Also what about William Wallaces' sword. That was nearly as long as I am tall.
Very interesting and thought provoking article. Thanks for posting Neil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »

As Val says they may be twice the weight of a "normal" axe of the period but given that a present day felling axe  weighs 5lb they can't really be classed as giant.
I think you'll find that most mythology involving giants comes from the finding of mammoth bones or the like.
But to continue the giant theme this is a "dagger" Shocked from the BA.....ceremonial I hasten to add

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »

Hey Geoff,could that dagger possibly be for ceremonial purposes?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal