Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volunteers in bottles clean-up at Bagillt shoreline  (Read 2951 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »

By Neil Prior

Volunteers are cleaning up a stretch of Flintshire shoreline after hundreds, or even thousands, of bottles were washed up after a storm.

Coastal rangers called for anyone with strong boots, gloves and warm coats to meet at the area popular with dog walkers on Saturday morning.

The coastline was badly hit by fierce winds and an abnormally high tide on 5 December.

Bagillt saw a nearby historical landfill site washed away.

And given that the site in question dates back to the early 20th Century, Tom Woodall of Flintshire coastal rangers said the volunteers' good deeds could well be rewarded.

"Most of the bottles and jars have been smashed to smithereens, but amongst them there are dozens still intact," he said.

"I'm no expert but given the age of the landfill site, I'd guess that several of them could be quite valuable."

He said the landfill site had long posed a problem in the area.

Locally the area is referred to as The Clinks owing to the amount of glass buried there.

"I have no idea whether it was glass in particular which was dumped there or if there's some quirk of coastal erosion which means that it's only the bottles and jars which get washed back onto the foreshore," said Mr Woodall.

"But even though this is the worst incidence we've seen, this isn't a new problem.

"Back when people would pay for old glass, you'd frequently see children scavenging for bottles at The Clinks following any spell of bad weather."

It is hoped the clean-up will take care of all the whole bottles and large fragments of broken glass.

However, it cannot hope to capture all the smaller shards.

Therefore the rangers are advising dog walkers to avoid the area for the next month or so, until nature and the tide can take care of the rest.

* _71894766_6f721673-b68d-4e3a-8760-b92bd1381c8a.jpg (20.8 KB, 224x299 - viewed 467 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »

I'd love to be there. N W D D this sounds like a good beach to detect as well

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

I'd love to be there. N W D D this sounds like a good beach to detect as well

Exactly what I was thinking.

XP Deus user
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »

I've been fishing down that patch a few times years ago, don't think about detecting there it's full of rubbish and I'm being polite when I use that word. Keep clear if you value your sanity !
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »

I've been fishing down that patch a few times years ago, don't think about detecting there it's full of rubbish and I'm being polite when I use that word. Keep clear if you value your sanity !

Could always go for the bottles

XP Deus user
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

i will come an pick up that dirty gold stuff lol Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal