Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman or Grand Tour?  (Read 3831 times)
avalon

« on: January 16, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »

A friend of mine dug this bust up on a Roman site a few years ago, where he has found a number of coins and brooches. He’s taken it to a museum, but they were uncertain of age and said it could  be from the Grand Tour 18th Century. Make’s you wonder why someone would bury a bronze bust in a field in the 18th Century, for someone to dig up 200 years later. The site is not a known settlement, and if the bust is more modern it must be worth several hundred pounds, seems pointless throwing it away.

We still think it is genuine and there must be someway of testing the bronze for age. Looking at the patina and verdigris I would have said it was Roman, but time will tell.

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »

Wow! If I found that I would be more than happy but at the same time confused as to why it was buried.
Had it been stolen or something Huh

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
avalon

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »

Here are some more pictures of it.

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

That's a beauty, thanks for posting, Avalon.

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

I bet the old heart was thumping as that came up. Lovely find regardless of which period it came from. Be great if it was Roman though.

Surely there must be a way to date Bronze, similar to the way they carbon date. And don't call me Shirley! Grin

As you said if it is Georgian then why dump it in a field? Nnless perhaps the field was part of a manor house grounds, when it could have been used as a garden ornament, it makes no sense.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

If it was from the Grand Tour it could and probably still is authentic, many antiquities both Roman and Greek found their way back to Britain during the Regency Period.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

Fantastic!

Museums can test bronze using  an X-ray spectrometer which determines the composition of the alloy. They have this available in Cardiff I know. Ancient bronze has different proportions of the constituent metals, so although I don't believe it is diagnostic, it can give a strong indication of the likely age of a copper-alloy artefact.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »

It reminds me of Commodus - which coincidentally was also my second ever Roman coin. the image of the marble bust I have attached is not too far of the mark.

Would love to know who it is and the date.

Neil
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:30:53 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »

wow  thats a supeb find , let us know about the date .

bravo.

Napoleon
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »

It surprising how often the so called 'experts' are clueless  Roll Eyes

It's a wonder they didn't get  the item analysed.

avalon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »

Fantastic!

Museums can test bronze using  an X-ray spectrometer which determines the composition of the alloy. They have this available in Cardiff I know. Ancient bronze has different proportions of the constituent metals, so although I don't believe it is diagnostic, it can give a strong indication of the likely age of a copper-alloy artefact.

I'll pass that info on, I think he want's to get it tested, because he is sure it's genuine.

waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »

Totally agree Rjm. Clueless can also mean we do not have the time or resources to deal with this. I would say get it tested and when they give you the results re post this on here and say we told them so. Your gut feeling is usually the right one. A lovely find whatever the out come and one we all would be proud off.
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »

Where was it found? Looks like a bust of Tetricus. He is always shown bearded and his gallic empire was based in Britain and northern France/Gaul. His empire was based on the roman fleet so they used coastal connections. If it was found near a coastal location, it could be significant.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
avalon

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »

Where was it found? Looks like a bust of Tetricus. He is always shown bearded and his gallic empire was based in Britain and northern France/Gaul. His empire was based on the roman fleet so they used coastal connections. If it was found near a coastal location, it could be significant.

Eric

It's a bust of Lucius Verus, and was found in Worcestershire.

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »

A super find  Smiley Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal