Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman "Del Boy" makes a mint . . .  (Read 1930 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »

Courtesy of BBC Online

Archaeologists have uncovered evidence of a Roman Del Boy who made a nice little earner selling bogus coins to foreign invaders. Metal detecting enthusiasts examining farmland in Northumberland, found a hoard of 70 Roman coins dating back to the time before Hadrian built his wall. Experts from Newcastle University, who examined the coins, discovered native Northumbrians had been melting them down to turn into trinkets.

The trinkets - such as brooches - would then have been sold back to the occupying Roman soldiers for them to take home as a memento of ancient Britannia.

Roman expert Lindsay Allason-Jones, director of Archaeological Museums, said the find confirmed for the first time that Northumbrians were recycling Roman coins. She said the discovery of a sprue - the metal which solidifies in the air holes of a mould - led them to draw the conclusion.

Ms Allason-Jones said: "This suggests for the first time that the native Northumbrians were recycling Roman coins to make artifacts, either for their own use or to sell to the Roman Army.
"The coins were so worn they weren't useable as coins anymore and somebody locally has been melting them down and making them into trinkets, probably to sell back to the Romans."

The coins were found by members of the Ashington and Bedlington Metal Detectors Group, on a farm near Longhorsley, Northumberland.

The hoard of 70 Roman coins - 61 sesterii and 9 dupondii - dates from the reign of the Emperor Vespasian to the reign of Marcus Aurelius (69-180 AD) - a period when the Antonine Wall, between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and not Hadrian's Wall, marked the frontier of the Roman Empire.

For a short period Northumberland, which had until then been barbarian territory, became part of the Roman Empire.

Ms Allason-Jones added: "The hoard is very valuable in archaeological terms, because this glimpse of local recycling is evidence that there was a relationship between the native and the military population.

"Although artefacts made from recycled metal have been found, this is also the first real evidence of native settlers using Roman materials as a source of recycling."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »

always thought most roman coinage was reused when to worn for currency anyway.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »

Luvly Jubbly Grin

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »

Triffic !  Grin
zorro
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »

If he'd only have held onto them forn slightly less than two millenia he could have got a lot more for them on ebay...."what a Plonker !"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal