Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Stogursey rally report  (Read 12297 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »

Well we'll give them the benefit of the doubt then, I didn't realise so many people has Georgian grots apart from the hammy I only had a 1946 penny and a Billy farthing.
I didn't think it was that junky, the only things I dug that fit into that slot were shotty caps, which stupidly a lot of people disc out.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »

who could disc shoty caps out,they give off a cracking signal Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
jtalbot0001

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

Hey Geoff, you little bugger, you must have found that Eddy Penny not long after we departed after our chat, good for you! Was it in decent nick? I actually didn't find much at all either on the Rally, for me my find of the day was my Flint Scraper which Laura recorded, which was found on the ploughed field near Geoff's Penny, damn! Most of you wouldn't know but actually right at the very end a large Roman Brooch was found which made Laura's day as it was the only thing that was Roman that was found! That George Crown was stunning! I was disappointed by the end of the day too, I was thinking that area had so much potential, and yet so little turned up. I said it before, the Welsh Rallies are by far the best Smiley

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
jtalbot0001

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »

Not sure why this chap didn't record this at the Stogursey Rally, as I'm sure Laura would have loved to have seen that. http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=33573&cat=102

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »

Probably because he didn't want the farmer to have it,it stated on the rules the farmer would like to keep some finds made.

Maybe another reason why not much was found  Grin

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
jtalbot0001

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »

Very True!

mucker

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »

I would like to add my suspicions after readingnthe input from others that when at the tent to hand in my tokens i overheard the receiver stating that one of the tokens handed in must have been in the ground a good couple of years.Now i dont know about anyone else but i found my three tokens on the surface .Thanks for otherwise for a great day and nice to see some faces.Thanks Jerry fot the Deus cover and advise ,nice to meet you..
Regards (Mucker)

It's an uphill struggle but i'm with you all the way
jtalbot0001

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »

Hey Mucker, I think you have a very good point, I found three, all painted red and all found on the surface, I actually overheard others by the tent saying they found other ones but different colours, blue was one, and that they were worn, IE the paint was very faded! So there may have been previous rallies on those fields! Which would explain everything!

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »

Probably because he didn't want the farmer to have it,it stated on the rules the farmer would like to keep some finds made.

Maybe another reason why not much was found  Grin

Mike (hoarder) who found this is very aware that it is potential Treasure and stated on another forum:

...recorded it with ukdfd and awaiting their verdict...

...also recorded it with our Devon FLO as I found it very late on the day...

...went back to base camp only to find the  Somerset FLO had left the rally.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »

Um well that may be the case but I know that many things weren't recorded because people were worried that they may have to part with them.
I'm not that suspicious of the tokens as this rally or the Saxton rally as it's been known has been going for years and I expect they have used the same tokens year in year out.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »

i found three tokens, all on the surface, 2 x two pences, one painted red on one side, the other red one side yellow the other, also had a one pence painted red on one side. on the finds front i had a couple of unrecognisable coins and a 1966 two shilling of elizabeth the second.... Cheesy.....i was on the RARE bus and some of our members found hammered and medieval buckles...out of thirty detectorists on the bus, five found hammered.....lucky them.... Grin....the rest of us found the usual bits and pieces, but still an enjoyable day.......byron.....PS....one of our members found a georgian pipe-tamper which he gave to the lady owner of the farm..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:35:17 PM by bymatt666 (byron) » Logged

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Markey Sparkey
Rally attendee

Soo much Iron and so little time!!

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »

I went along to this rally too! Saved a fiver by pre-booking the tickets.Wish I'd gone to Hereford in hindsight though.I was shown a Lizzie Hammy which did'nt appear in the finds cabinet so some finds were definatley not handed in.That George III crown was a different one as its been said the date on it was 1820 and the one shown here was 1819 so not the same.The one in the cabinet did look surprisingly clean though?? I found a bit of a pot rim in the car park field which the FLO said could be medievel.A heart shaped horse decoration, a shotty,and a bullet casing.Apart from a ringpull and a few bits of lead nothing else.Did hear of two rings being found in the car park field as the cars moved out the way one silver(bulky and modern)and a gold ring.Typical that eh? A nice place and good to be with other detectorists but shame the finds did'nt reflect the area's history.Never mind perhaps the next welsh rally will be kinder..
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »

Well if as Byron says 5 of his members found hammies plus me and Dawson that's at least 7, I'm seeing Laura tomorrow morning before I leave for Ireland so I'll let you all know how many were actually recorded....could be interesting Wink
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »

I expect like many  rallies there were finds not handed in,the bit in the rally instructions about the farmer wanting some finds definitely did not help.

To be honest though,there was not a lot of people detecting in the afternoon,which was a sure sign that not much was being found.

You didn't get the usell whispers of someone has found this and that either, so I don't think a lot was found.

At the end of the day it was a rally a social gathering,and if you find something it's a bonus  Grin

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »

The normal course of events is that if you pay to detect you keep your finds that are not subject to the
Treasure Act, whereupon the land owner would receive half the 'market value'.

The land owner might have difficulty legally in keeping a find if he's received payment for allowing his
land to be detected. I suppose it depends if a contract was drawn up between the organisers and land
owner to this effect.

Was this fact advertised to detectorists prior to them paying?

This isn't a lt of point putting the effort in, after payment, if someone can come along and swipe your
reward !  Cry

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal