Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Stogursey rally report  (Read 12300 times)
relichunting
Restricted Member

« on: September 26, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »

Saturday I had a wedding to attend,the night reception went on to 12am I went the whole day without having an alcoholic drink,because I had booked to go on the Stogursey rally,and wanted a nice clear head.

I have been on holiday for the last two weeks and increasing my hammered count,but have also had a nasty cold which just does not want to go away.

My alarm went off at 6am just had time for a quick cup of tea and a fag,before Jonh (yoda) was banging on my front door  Shocked

After driving for around hour an half we found the meeting hall and queued up for are breakfast

After breakfast we rushed back to the car,to find are self's in a traffic jam,to get out of the field we were parked in.

The idea was to follow a red minibus to the detecting site,the problem was there was two large buses holding everyone up

Once on site I rushed off to the fields furthest away that I could see looked ploughed,they were rough disked and very wet and muddy,I managed half an hour on them,and came off with 2 foot of mud stuck to my boots.

After a few hours detecting on the pasture in rain showers,I thought is it me or are these fields rubbish Huh all I had was a gold platted horse brooch.

By around 1pm I had had enough so went to look at the finds cabinet,the only decent find that was there was a George 111 crown funny thing was i had seen one posted on this site the day before,so I am not sure if it was found on the day or not.

After watching the raffle and winning nothing,myself John and are other mate Rob decided to go home getting stuck in another traffic jam though Bridgewater for over half an hour  Angry

Did we  enjoy the day,yes we did although at £20 a head it was very expensive

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:21:22 PM »

I was very excited about this rally for a long time. 150 acres of undetected land in Somerset sounded pretty wonderful to me. Iv got to say though, I ended the day feeling a little disappointed.

It was a great day out as a social event and the company I travelled with was fantastic. It's a shame the detecting let us down. It just seemed the fields where pretty devoid of any finds which was surprising considering the area.

Not one of the eighteen on our bus ( yes it was probably us holding you up relic hunter  Tongue ) found anything of note at all.

So overall a great social day out, but shame about the detecting .

Jon
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »

Yes that George crown had me scratching my head too Huh
I didn't fair too much better and like you tried those far fields they were so quiet no rubbish, no iron and certainly no good targets, they shouted "RECLAIMED WOODLAND" to me and I wouldn't of been surprised that if 100 years ago it was forested quite away along that other side.
I did have a Eddy penny from the ploughed and rolled field as did Briggs1969.
The field that I thought would be good was the smaller one below the manor house and I did get a 14thC pendant which had been enamelled and a couple of mounts. the soil there was full of stones and so had been ploughed at some time in the recent past whereas most of the other pasture fields had no stones in the top soil. The fields running away from this one looked quite ancient with the small enclosure marks and ridge and furrow still quite clear and out of one of these Melonhead had a nice little Eddy? penny
Conductivity was excellent though as I was digging ridiculous depths just for shotty caps Cheesy
The one thing I noticed with all the fields especially as conductivity wasn't a problem was the absence of larger targets, Georgian grots, pre decimal anything and buckles were all suspiciously absent, which is usually a sign of the land having been detected before, especially in a more 8" coil era.
But hey hoe that's the way it goes and the sun did come eventually. Oh and I have to say the hotdogs were worth going for on their own Grin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:41:57 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »

Never tried the hotdog's,the breakfast made a nice change.  Grin

As to the George 111 crown I remember seeing one on here the night before,and thought wow,I bet not many of them were ever lost,so was a bit surprised to see one at the rally the very next day.

We enjoyed the day out,we never expect to find anything at rally's so when we do its a bonus

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »

Yes same here RH on the George, I'm popping down to see Laura the FLO tomorrow so I'll ask her if it was found at the rally.
What did your horse brooch look like, as I did see one in the shape of the backside of a horse which was a nice little thing. Huh
Jon1987

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »

You didn't try the hot dogs?  Shocked they were the best part  Grin
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »

More of a horse shoe brooch,thought it was gold when i seen it in the hole.

* IMG_1866.JPG (50.55 KB, 350x255 - viewed 1317 times.)

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

very nice RH and along with the other one I saw might point as you say to a horse show venue and may explain why all the ringpulls in the car park field. Some of the hedges in the fields below the house had cross country jumps in them.
Soft top

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »

Regarding the george III crown, the one i found was 1819, the one at the rally was 1820, just a coincidence, i was at the rally but did,nt find anything of intrest, it would have freaked me out had i found the other crown as well! Thanks for the comments about the coin it was a special find.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »

you win some you lose some

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
stampy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »

I have to agree it was a big let down, the fields were so quiet! I walked from top to bottom of one of he ploughed fields with just two signals that being an iron bar and a spent shotgun cartridge (my Favorite Tongue)

Fortunatly I did find a few coins, a 1956 shilling in the car field, two one penny's dated 1868 and 1936 and what I think is a George III Half Penny dated 177? 

Robbo won the whisky bottle with his 11th century artifact which I think the FLO said was part of a stirrup?Huh

Stampy
stampy

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »

Almost forgot, when we were leaving someone mentioned that two tokens had been found which were different colours to the ones which we were looking for, so perhaps the land wasn't undetected after all?Huh??
welshjohn

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »

Almost forgot, when we were leaving someone mentioned that two tokens had been found which were different colours to the ones which we were looking for, so perhaps the land wasn't undetected after all?Huh??

I found different colour tokens but assumed that there were mixed colours.  3 sprayed red, one sprayed yellow?  Anyone else get any yellows?

Echo everyone sentiments; lack of decent targets and a real assortment of the targets I did find.  George 3rd halfpence through to an old style moder 10p.  No solver this time tho.
Jon1987

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »

The tokens I found where yellow on one side and red on the other. I did find a two pence with hints of blue on it though. Maybe there was a rally there in the past?

Still a lot of junk came up though, if it had been detected before you would expect the junk to be dug up too?
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »

I heard it was quiet too. Yes, £20 is expensive for a rally, and it does sound like it was detected before.
Surely this should have been advised before parting with hard earned dosh?

As for the George 111, who knows?  things are produced at rallies that haven't been found.......I don't
see the point myself as that person only cheats themself. It's probably the person who has doubts about
their detecting ability and wants to impress others.......... 

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal