Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad experience buying a car. BE CAREFUL!  (Read 8039 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: February 12, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »

Been looking for a nice older second hand 7 seater to replace my overley expensive 2 yr old Galaxy. My wife foind a nice 02 Renault Espace in one of the Garages in the Treforest area.

We picked the car up and as soon as we got onto the industrial estate the car started missing. Phoned the garage and they said fuel it up cos it was empty and had probably picked up some muck off the bottom of the tank. I filled the tank and also put some Redex in. Pulled onto the A470 and the car would not go over 50. Also every time I broke there was a grinding noise from the gearbox and a clank.

I phoned the salesman and he said we're shut now, fetch it down in the morning. We did this and on the way down the A470 going around a left bend there was another clank and the car lurched a few feet to the right. I nearly lost it! 

I got to the garage and the mechanic said there was a coil box gone and  2 gear box mountings broke. This is a car that had just had a full examination by said mechanic the day before. We insisted on out money back and he said the boss would have to phone us . Though he was not in at the moment. Train home no car.

Now the boss is giving us the run around , not returning calls, and passing messages that he'll get the car fixed.

I've checked the sales of goods act and It states that the goods must be fit for purpose. As far as second hand cars go. Private sales only need to be 'As described'  but second hand cars from commercial garages must 'Be safe and suitable to get you from A to B'  clearly this car is not. I have contacted VOSA and they agree that mounting brackets are most definately a safety issue and that no car leaving a place of commercial sale should have broken gearbox mounting brackets. I've also contacted Trading standards who are taking up the case as a safety issue.

In the meantime I have no car.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »

Flaming Heck Rob, Thats more than a bit naughty. My first thoughts would be contact ITV Ferret, that Chris Seggar loves dodgy garages.
I think you should name and shame the Garage, I'm going to replace the old Pajero soon, i'l not be going there.
I doesn't bare thinking about what could have happened. If your not happy naming on the Forum, sent me a PM Mate. I'm mad for you  Angry Rotten gits

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »

I wont name them on the forum as I do not know the legalities involved. Last thing I want is being lumbered with a slander or lible case against me.

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »

As soon as I saw the word Renault I knew it would be bad. I agree if you get no joy you should definitely get on to The Ferret, Rob.

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

Also, I can't see how putting the name of the garage up could be libelous, since everything you've stated can be proven as true.  Huh

melonhead

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:36 PM »

rob insist on a refund my brother in law had a silver 02 espace from a garage near blackwood never went right from leaving the forecourt not even renault them selfs could fix it lucky for my brother in law his wife is a evil cow and loves a confrontation and they soon had a gutsfull and refunded their money if they mess you around maybe 50 or so detecorists phoneing and enqiuring non stop may persuade them to do the right thing
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »

MELONHEAD.
WHAT A GREAT IDEA MATE.
BUT LIKE ROB SAID HE CANT NAME THE GARAGE YET.
FOR LEGAL REASON.S.
BUT WHAT A CRACKING IDEA THAT WAS BUTTY.IF EVERYONE PHONED UP ON DETECTINGWALES.THE FELLA WOULD CRACK UP.
HE CANT CHANGE HIS NUMBER ALL THE CARS NUMBER PLATES ADVERT.S
PHONE NUMBER.S ARE ON EVERYTHING.SO HE CANT CHANGE THE NUMBER.
GREAT IDEA MELLONHEAD.
RAY

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »

rob, i think you were lucky, anything could have happened if the gear box dropped to the floor and lost control of the car,when you get your money back leave the french stuff alone.viv
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »

Trust is a privilege never earned twice.bet you wont go there again.lol.
if you dont know anything about cars you should always take a mechanic with you or somebody that knows what he is looking at.saves a lot of trouble. Wink
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:51:27 PM by Gadget(Ian) » Logged

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »

rob ive been told that trading standards have already prosecuted a number of garages in the treforest area for selling un road worthy cars so i hope its some help mate.
DES
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »

Cheers Des thanks for the advice fella. VOSA and trading standards are investigating it.

Thanks

outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »

You are correct Rob, under the sales of goods act, if the goods are defective you are entitled to a full refund.

However, getting it isnt as easy. It is worth a phone call to citizens advice as well.

Problem with a lot of used car sales, they re opinion of a full check up on conditon of car and our opinion of a full check up differs ! I dont think many garages check them, that way they can question the buyer as to who is responsible and over what time period faults developed.

If you drive off a forecourt, and develope a fault your entitled to a full refund.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »

Blimey,  that is bad of them Rob,  you should win, but its all the hassle and inconvenience in the meantime, doh,  best of luck with it anyhow,
Alan

zorro
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34:08 AM »

Rob dont know about the libel/slander issue. if the story you've told is true, not suggesting it isn't , then you cannot be sued for slander or libel you are simply re-tell an incident that happened.
i'd call police myself get them involved mate.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »

Ok its taken until now , but yesterday I won my claim against the garage. They strung the court along and in the end failed to enter a defence so now they are lumbered with the bill to pay me and a CCJ. Enforcment proceedings will take place if they do not cough up by Wednesday next week.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal