Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: importing a new machine  (Read 3994 times)
mark barrett

« on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »

hi , if i import a new golden mask detector from bulgaria what will be the differences to a uk model [ voltage different  ? ] and what about the guarantee etc, what are the pitfalls of importing.

swing low, aim high
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

i cant see the voltage being different....they are all battery powered.....a guarantee may be difficult to pursue though...but good luck...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »

Anyone can in theory import a metal detector provided you pay the import taxes !

When contacting overseas manufacturers, you should always ask what their returns policies are ? Whether its suitable for use in uk Huh Roll Eyes

The pitfalls of purchasing anything further than an hours drive down the motorway, is
that its bl--dy frustrating if anything does go wrong and you cannot easily confront the seller !

That counts for anything we buy !  Grin

Good luck with it !
detectordave

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »

I know that tesero in the states come with a lifetime warrenty but in this country it only has a years cover,pay a visit to a few dealers and show them the colour of your money remember in this country CASH IS KING and the average mark up on machines is between 40% and 50% dont be afraid to haggle hope this helps.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »

I've bought a couple of things from the good old U.S. of A. and just the once I got caught for the import tax. Postman asked me for it when it arrived! You have to be careful about these things.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

hi , if i import a new golden mask detector from bulgaria what will be the differences to a uk model [ voltage different  ? ] and what about the guarantee etc, what are the pitfalls of importing.

Hi

If you do buy a Golden Mask 3 or 3+, I would buy from Evergreen Detectors who are the importers. They offer a 5 year guarantee.

I bought a GM3 from another UK supplier and found it had a lower amp battery pack and only one year guarantee. I then part exchanged it for the GM3+ via Evergreen Detectors. I found them to be very friendly and fair with their prices.

I am part exchanging my GM3+ for an XP Deus via Evergreen and they have done me a good deal.

I did look at importing but with insured postage and import tax it worked out about the same plus I wouldn't have the guarantee and ease of getting it fixed etc.

My advice is it isn't worth saving a few quid. Better to get from Evergreen for piece of mind.

........And no, I don't have any connections with them!!!

PM me if you want further details or chat.
Bob

zorro
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »

i'd sugest pm'ing ukbrian, i know he has/had a place in Bulgaria and to be honest what he doesnt know about detectors......well forget it. that includes difficulties with importing them
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »

You will have to find an imagrant to translate the instructions for you Grin Grin Grin

detectordave

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »

BRING IT TO LLANELLI THERES HUNDREDS HERE

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

if i can recall correctly anything over the value of £18.00 you will have to pay import duty at about 15%.
hope this helps. Wink

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

it's now up to £100
betel23

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »

You need to add 3.5% Import Duty to the cost of the imported item,
Then the delivery costs and then add the VAT on top ..
Quite expensive eh???
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 06:07:55 AM »

not sure where you get £100 from Chef Huh

But i have very very recently just bought two tectors from the other side of the globe.
for about £250 the import duty was £45  Grin

Tectorists in general shouldnt be put off from trying other sources to buy new tectors, the mark up on well known brands is day light robbery  Roll Eyes
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »

Here you go Outlaw
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD1_028770

I think your getting your import duty and your VAT mixed up.
I have just found out that Bulgaria is now part of the EU (no one asked me) so there is no duty or vat to pay.
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »

When I bought a garrett a few yrs ago I bought it from Canada as it was a few hundred  pound cheaper, When it rrived customs seized it and i had to pay about £100 to get it out (but i was still £100 better off than uk). Anyway a few months down the line and it started developing problems thats where the fun begins. Had to send it to the UK garrett dealer but they wouldnt touch it ,so it ended up going to Germany where they lost it. Then about 4 months later it turned up on my doorstep. I played hell with garrett and slated them on their forums, in the end i had a phone call from Mary herself and sent it to the UK dealer, it came back good as new .So be warned before you buy from abroad you may save a few quid but you could lose a lot more without that warranty.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal