Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: nebie  (Read 7162 times)
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »

Hi, welcome,
Thats sound advice from Phil, i started in Feb this year a a fellow newbie, I spent a lot of money on new machines before finally finding one i liked, this was a Minelab bought secondhand (mainly because they ain't cheap), this started my love affair with Minlab and i now have another higher spec model, bought new that I'm very comfortable with from a technical point of view.
Before you buy, decide for definite what you want to do with it, if your only going to use it on the land,it makes life easier. if you intend using it on wet sand as well, then your options start to narrow, if you only ever tend  to do wet sand, again a slightly different machine will suit you.
The choice of machines can be bewildering when you first start, i know, i was there at the start of the year.
Be carefull of the cheaper machines with "beach mode", they will disappoint you!
Also be carefull of e-bay,it can be a dumping ground for faulty machines, a fault that may not be readilly apparent to a new user!
one last thing, buy youself a pinpointer, it needent be an expensive one to start with, but do get one.
Sorry if any of this is teaching you to "suck eggs", as i only just noticed you had detected before, I'll leave what I've typed just in case.
Cheers
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
hunter_2000_uk
Rally attendee

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »

thanks for the reply salty, interesting read, i have had a look at the minelab and they seem to be a good machine.i will keep a look out for one. any idea on the model i should go for. i want a good allrounder. not much beach work.cheers.
jon

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »

Hi Jon, I may throw this open to the floor, my minelab experience is limited to the FBS range, that being the Quattro and my E-Trac that i use now, i have clocked a lot of ours with these, probably more than is healthy (certainly for my bank balance,an addicted newbie).
They are weird machines if you've never used one before, they can make lots of strange noises at first, but the beauty is , when you learn to recognise the different tones and pitches, what once sounded like a demented bagpipe now is music that speaks to you, eventually you wont even look at the screen, you'll know what it is (i never believed people when they told me this at first, but is is true), also, they are heavy, be warned, your arm will ache and the pinpointing with a DD coil takes a little getting used to.
Minelab offer cheaper machines, lighter also than the "explorer type" range, offering BBS , not as many frequencies as the Fullband Spectrum, but still more than most.
Also look at the Whites range of detectors and i think the fishers had some nice machines i was looking into.
The best thing i can suggest,something i should have done with hind site, but never did is go along to your nearest club,have a chat, you needn't join up straight away, I'm sure if there like my club they wouldn't mind, have a chat with some members and get some unbiased opinions. many people have tried different makes and can point out the pro's and cons, just remember what might work for them, may not work for you.
also look at the expansion option,can you get aftermarket coils of a larger or smaller size, to suit your needs, battery packs, repair availability and costs, don't buy something thats about to become , or is obsolete, unless its very cheap, you may have issues with repairs should it go wrong.

Hopefully I've given you some food for thought and not confused you too much.
cheers
Salty

Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum hope you like it just as much as the rest of us if you need help with anything someone will be happy to help you as best as we can so happy hunting................ Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
mark barrett

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »

hi and a big welcome to the best detecting forum

swing low, aim high
hunter_2000_uk
Rally attendee

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 06:00:48 AM »

i would like to thank you all for the very warm welcome, i think i have made my mind up about purchasing a metal detector, i think i would like to try the minelab, could any of you recommend a good model and also a place to purchase one from.
many thanks to all.
Jon Smiley

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »

Hi Jon, Whilst some may disagree with me, i think your making the right choice.(yes i'm slightly biased)
What budget do you have in mind,what do you intend to search for in the main? I.E. relics and old coinage/ jewelry or modern coins/ jewelry or all of these?
This will of course influence our advice.

Another bit of advice I'll offer is ... Build a test garden, your neighbour's might think your potty!, but practise on your test garden, its saves a lot of confusion when you first start, you don't really want to be experementing in the Field if you can help it, learn in surroundings your comfartable with to get your machine setup up to work for you.

I'm always willing to help if i can mate

Salty
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:22:32 PM by Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club, R.A.R.E. » Logged

cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »

for my first machine i have bought the new minelab xterra 305 and have been finding plenty with it. The depth is excellent and its so easy to use Smiley Ticks all the boxes mate Grin

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »

hi hunter welcome to the form mate enjoy your self
viking

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 07:49:22 AM »

great forum hunter enjoy yourself Grin
bigjase
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »

Hi hunter nice to meet you i would advise you for your first detector go for a garret ace 250 or fisher f2 i started with a fisher f2 realy good detector thanks jason
150aceboy
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 01:46:27 AM »

Welcome to the site Hunter, a newbie myself mate, full of advice and tips on here mate, great advice too, good hunting , Ace Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal