Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who says money doesn't grow on trees?  (Read 2191 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »

They say money doesn't grow on trees, but it certainly appears to do so on the mysterious coin-studded trunks dotted around the UK's woodland.

The strange phenomenon of gnarled old trees with coins embedded all over their bark has been spotted on trails from the Peak District to the Scottish Highlands.

Tree-mendous: A money tree with copper and silver coins hammered into the wood near Ingleton, North Yorkshire

The coins are usually knocked into felled tree trunks using stones by passers-by, who hope it will bring them good fortune.These fascinating spectacles often have coins from centuries ago buried deep in their bark and warped by the passage of time.

The tradition of making offerings to deities at wishing trees dates back hundreds of years, but this combination of the man-made and the natural is far more rare.

It used to be believed that divine spirits lived in trees, and they were often festooned with sweets and gifts - as is still done today at Christmas.

The act is reminiscent of tossing money into ponds for good luck, or the trend for couples to attach 'love padlocks' to bridges and fences to symbolise lasting romance.

There are seven felled tree trunks with coins pushed into them in the picturesque village of Portmeirion, in Wales.

Meurig Jones, an estate manager at the tourist destination, told the BBC: 'We had no idea why it was being done when we first noticed the tree trunk was being filled with coins.

'I did some detective work and discovered that trees were sometimes used as "wishing trees" .

'In Britain it dates back to the 1700s - there is one tree in Scotland somewhere which apparently has a florin stuck into it.'

He said that a sick person could press a coin into a tree and their illness would go away.

'If someone then takes the coin out though, it's said they then become ill.'
 Woodland wonder: Trees are traditional sources of good luck as deities were thought to reside in them

'We haven't publicised it at all, it's just happened,' he added. 'It's quite amazing really.'

In Scotland, there is also a legend about a kissing tree. If a young man could drive a nail into a tree with one blow, he earned a kiss from his sweetheart.

Yoko Ono has used wishing trees in her artwork, and in 1877 Queen Victoria wrote about visiting an oak tree with coins stuck in it in the Highlands.

* article-0-0DD98DDD00000578-514_634x778.jpg (145.51 KB, 634x778 - viewed 509 times.)

* article-2036581-0DD98DD200000578-820_634x423.jpg (68.85 KB, 634x423 - viewed 502 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »

that is amazing
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

Saw this on one of Peace havens videos on you tube. My daughter would be filling her pockets.  Grin Grin
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »

money made from hemp so it does lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »

Yea saw that on you tube as well.
Don't know if many of you have seen peace havens vids as he's quite prolific filming his detecting adventure. I quite enjoy his easy going nature
and look on life.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal