Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: shw mae  (Read 7368 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

Hi M.D.
Reading some of your replies reminded me of some of the mistakes we all make. Me I play hell with sheep netting round the fields, DONT get too close.
I like to have a smoke but can't stand still for it so I loop my spade over my wrist, fag in hand and carry on. Big mistake. Every time my tector goes to that side I've found gold. Roll Eyes
And please don't fall for steel toe caps or a finds bag that flops around as you walk.
Happy Hunting.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

Welcome to the forum Buddy, i wish you well in your new found hobby,
Alan

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

welcome aboard mate,your in luck theres loads of nutjobs on here for you to study.
 plenty of advice and friendly bunch of loons.good luck and be prepered to dig a lot of scrap metal though.
 all the best
    mike
 Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »

plenty of advice and friendly bunch of loons.good luck and be prepered to dig a lot of scrap metal though.
 all the best
    mike
 Smiley
thanks mike, been having a bash today and the scrap metal collection is increasing!!

Why live life from dream to dream and dread the day that dreaming ends....
mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »

Welcome to the forum Buddy, i wish you well in your new found hobby,
Alan
thanks for your kind words alan :-)

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 07:33:52 PM »

Hi M.D.
Reading some of your replies reminded me of some of the mistakes we all make. Me I play hell with sheep netting round the fields, DONT get too close.
I like to have a smoke but can't stand still for it so I loop my spade over my wrist, fag in hand and carry on. Big mistake. Every time my tector goes to that side I've found gold. Roll Eyes
And please don't fall for steel toe caps or a finds bag that flops around as you walk.
Happy Hunting.

Val
thanks for the tips val. i have found a way to listen to my ipod and detect at the same time, just have to avoid the lead swinging in front of the coil!
i had a fair go today and pulled out over 40 coins,
£3.60 being found in a little plastic bag. mostly new with a fistfull of georgian pennies. star of the day was a 22 carat gold ring which i gave to my daughter.

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

welcome...the site gurus will im sure be a font of knowledge..this is a cracking friendly site...im sure  you will fit right in..cheers paul
im sure i will need the guru advice too. learning all the squeaks and buzzes on my machine is quite a task. thank you for your welcome too paul :-)

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum - may meet you at a rally one day  Smiley
thank you tyna, i look forward to it :-)

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »

Well they'd all better watch out if you've only just started in the hobby. What  a great day you've had. Here's to many more. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »

I use a small spade with a fibre glass shaft, bought from B&Q building section, but they have stopped stocking that type and everyone else seems to have worked out that us obsessives want them so they have hiked the price.

A trowel is hard work to dig with especially in grassy surfaces. Unless you hold it like a dagger and stab the ground with it it gets painful after a bit.

I tend to keep the spade up on my shoulder because the Etrac can pick it up from about 3 feet away.

As far as learning the squeeks and groans, get a collection of the coins you have found and get hold of some hammered coins from ebay or dealers, they are only a few pounds, and bury them in some ground that you have cleared. Practice swinging over them and you will soon learn which ones to dig and which to avoid. I am not familiar with the audio signals from your machine but it usually is best to go by audio signal rather than any displayed numbers.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
tyna

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »

Just taking a little more time to absorb your posts - I must say that I'm amazed you've already struck gold so soon1!!  and 22k no less!!!!  Very,very well done indeed and I mean that most sincerely.  Not sure why you're using just a trowel though as you really need a spade to get down to the nitty gritty.  By all means carry a trowel as well to tease the goodies out.  May I suggest a plastic/nylon trowel so you inadvertently don't scratch any worthwhile potential artefact?  Sometimes (hopefully) you may be fortunate to walk over something that may be extremely delicate and stabbing with a trowel may break it up beyond all recognition.  Really look forward to meeting you at the rallies.   Smiley

Also may I recommend the Garret pro pointer probe?  it'll save you a lot of grief & effort on land   Huh
tyna

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »

Another tip - If you find a ring then grid the area in all directions - where there's one there's probably more  Huh

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal