Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil & Phils day of detecting - Sunday October 18th 2009  (Read 5348 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »

I was kindly invited out by Phil for a days detecting yesterday - and who am I to turn down such an invitation? So I kept myself alcohol free the night before and was at Phils by about 8am. By 10am we were in the fields and what a cracking days detecting it turned out to be!

First blood went to Phil in the form of a military buckle that should clean up lovely (Jonola you may be able to help tie the date down on this one, knowing your knowledge of all things military mate).

Next I joined in with a Charles II copper - a first for me and in pretty good condition. I quickly followed this by what I think is a copper of Mary. Which is odd as I didn't think any were issued.

Phil then manages to produce a find that has eluded me for 4 years or more in the form of a crotal bell. When will I ever find one was running through my brain. Phil then managed to produce a lovely looking Book clasp - again another item I was yet to find.

I then tried to even the day out by pulling up a battered Edward hammy that I think when its been straightened mighten be such a dog after all. I took it over to Phil who was nearby for the unveiling from the mud it was tightly clinging to, and then walked off whistling the tune of "1 - nil". Lets face it though I was unlikely to end up the winner on the hammered count - knowing the Vac's reputation. He also at this point had a battered Sestertious that somehow had in antiquity had a chunk cut out of it.

Not to be outdone - I then pulled out a book clasp of my own - slightly larger but virtually the same design - maybe off the same book! Next came a curious piece of inscribed metal - could be shrapnel but also could be part of a pocket sun dial - time will tell.

Next Phil had unearthed a lump of lead that I am sure is a face and reminds me of a Roman one I have seen which had a seal on the bottom (any ideas anyone?) Not to be outdone he also found a Lizzy hamster with a pretty decent profile for a change that made it 1-1.

Heading back towards the car I got a signal and proceeded to dig a button while about 4 foot away directly next to me Phil also had a signal and proceeded to dig an absolutely lovely short cross hammered coin! 2-1 If only I had strayed more to the left - thats detecting for you though! I wonder how many times all of us have walked a foot or two away from a great find. I was pleased for him anyway as its a nice coin - who is it though as these are notorious hard to date - Is it Richard the Lionheart, Henry or John?

Off to another site following a spot of lunch and the finds started raining in! I drew first blood on this site with one of the best detailed Romans I have ever found. I even thought it may have been a denari at first as it was jet black, but turned out to be a radiate of Claudius. Phil in the mean time not to be out done had found a hammered token - one of the CB types.

Returning to my Roman find spot I took a few more steps and it happened at long last! My first Crotal Bell! A bit broken, but it counts all the same. (John P - I'll have to give you your one back now! Wink) Not long after that I managed to find a clog buckle circa 17thC in great condition. I thought it might even have been silvered at first, but turned out to be tinned. I was happy though as my love affair with buckles continued.

Phil also produced a Medieval plate buckle that is a bit special to say the least, and would sit happily in most collections. Looks early Medieval to my untrained eye.

Onto the final field of the day and the light was fading fast. I had a lovely signal and after much hunting around I finally found another crotal bell - in far better condition this time but still not complete. They are like flaming buses!

The light is almost gone now when Phil appears grinning like the Cheshire Cat, and in his had has a stunning Roman disc brooch, which we could tantalisingly see glimpses of silver on. Well done mate - a beaut of a find!

We headed back to the Landy in pitch darkness, but with full pockets! It was a great day out and one of the weirdest I have ever had as we seemed to be finding item after item of the same description. I found a hammered then Phil found one, Phil found a crotal bell, then I found one, Phil found a Roman then I found one, Phil found a book clasp then I found one, Phil found a buckle then I found one, etc. Very strange. Hopefully next time he can find a stater first, and then . . .  Grin

Thanks for a great day out mate - it was a good laugh and I broke a few of my cherries! Can't wait to next time

Get comfy - here come the photos

Neil
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:45:21 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »

And more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

They keep coming

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »

Still more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »

The end! Until next time

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Cracking write-up,cracking finds,what a cracking day !  Shocked Well done guys !  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Mark

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »

Nice one fella's, a good day by the looks of it  Smiley

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »

WELL done cccccccccooooooooggggggglllllleeee  &   neil, great finds guys great photos neil and a great write up again, you both done a great days detecting  Wink
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »

Lovely finds lads keep em coming Wink

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »

nice story neil  Wink i my self injoyed it so much as i said before great company i think we had a very good day not feeling to good now as i said yesterday i was knackerd i think it was the start of this soar throat got the trots   Embarrassed ass like a jap flag if you know what i mean but all the same well done son like i said to you and some of the guys it were you go  Wink Cheesy hope to see you soon

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »

Cracking write up and pics Neil. The legend that is Coleggwent is fast becoming a Detecting God. Rob, Neil and Geoff how about getting Phil in on the rally site choosing committee. he does seem to have the sixth sense.
DIG IT! (ADIE)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »

The mans a icon and a jolly nice chap too Cheesy Wink

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »

thanks guys your making me blush now Embarrassed Cheesy Cheesy

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
DIG IT! (ADIE)

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »

You deserve the praise mate i know you put a lot of work into detecting and you are always helpful and sincere  ;)By the way i will pop in soon so you can fix the stem on my detector Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal