Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Girl Guide badges returned to their rightfull owner  (Read 4800 times)
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »

It was some time ago that i posted on finding a large amount of Girl Guide badges, with the presence of a name badge the detective work started. It wasnt long before i recieved a reply from the herefordshire commissioner for the girl guides and then an email to follow from the lady whos these badges were:

Dear Mr Bates - or Nick?

I am just overwhelmed by your kindness in tracking me down.  I was devastated some four years ago when I was away at my daughters in West Sussex, to get a telephone call from my Hereford daughter to say that we had been broken into.  They didn't make a mess and the only thing they took was the contents of a small basket containing Guide badges collected during 65 years in the Association, many of them made of cardboard by Rainbows, Brownies and Guides and given to me as a gift.  The only item of any worth was my grandmother's wedding ring which I sometimes used as a necker ring.  Some of the badges were for special service throughout my lifetime as a Browner Guider, Guide Guider (25 years in Hunderton), District Commissioner, Arts Adviser, Camp Adviser, Music Adviser and Guider Mentor, not all at the same time, I hasten to add!  One badge was presented in St James Palace by the Chief Guide and is irreplaceable.  The theft was reported to the Police who concluded that it was teenagers and they did manage to get some fingerprints, but no record on file for the owner.  The Police did do a follow-up last year, but there were no conclusions.

I would love to have the badges back in whatever condition and will come to wherever you suggest to meet you.  I am still bubbling with excitement at the prospect and how kind you have been.

I went and returned these badges today and what a great feeling it was, the lady was extremely happy and couldnt be more thankful it goes to show what meaning some of our finds have to people and they dont have to be of high value. Im only sorry that the toerags probably took the gold ring and just dumped the rest, but at least there is some silver lining for the lady who thought she would never see these items ever again.

Nick

* special one.JPG (62.44 KB, 549x445 - viewed 314 times.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:06:45 PM by WeCan-Octavian » Logged

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

What a lovelly end to the tale Nick. You didn't think to ask if the 'special' one was there did you ? the one presented at St.James Palace.

Well done you. Dont it make you feel good. Grin couldn't be any better if it was the Crown Jewels.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »

What a lovelly end to the tale Nick. You didn't think to ask if the 'special' one was there did you ? the one presented at St.James Palace.

Well done you. Dont it make you feel good. Grin couldn't be any better if it was the Crown Jewels.

Val

Thanks Val ive edited the pic for you lol the special one is the only one out of the lot thst hallmarked silver

Nick

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Oh well done Nick, as Val said what a brilliant ending to a story.
 Being able to return something lost or stolen must feel great,
to both you and the lady .

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

superb effort nick  , a very very happy ending well done mate  Smiley Smiley Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »

It was some time ago that i posted on finding a large amount of Girl Guide badges, with the presence of a name badge the detective work started. It wasnt long before i recieved a reply from the herefordshire commissioner for the girl guides and then an email to follow from the lady whos these badges were:

Dear Mr Bates - or Nick?

I am just overwhelmed by your kindness in tracking me down.  I was devastated some four years ago when I was away at my daughters in West Sussex, to get a telephone call from my Hereford daughter to say that we had been broken into.  They didn't make a mess and the only thing they took was the contents of a small basket containing Guide badges collected during 65 years in the Association, many of them made of cardboard by Rainbows, Brownies and Guides and given to me as a gift.  The only item of any worth was my grandmother's wedding ring which I sometimes used as a necker ring.  Some of the badges were for special service throughout my lifetime as a Browner Guider, Guide Guider (25 years in Hunderton), District Commissioner, Arts Adviser, Camp Adviser, Music Adviser and Guider Mentor, not all at the same time, I hasten to add!  One badge was presented in St James Palace by the Chief Guide and is irreplaceable.  The theft was reported to the Police who concluded that it was teenagers and they did manage to get some fingerprints, but no record on file for the owner.  The Police did do a follow-up last year, but there were no conclusions.

I would love to have the badges back in whatever condition and will come to wherever you suggest to meet you.  I am still bubbling with excitement at the prospect and how kind you have been.

I went and returned these badges today and what a great feeling it was, the lady was extremely happy and couldnt be more thankful it goes to show what meaning some of our finds have to people and they dont have to be of high value. Im only sorry that the toerags probably took the gold ring and just dumped the rest, but at least there is some silver lining for the lady who thought she would never see these items ever again.

Nick
What a great story Nick well done and great P.R by you. Smiley Smiley Smiley
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »

Now that's what i call a result.

Very well done Nick. Stand up and take a bow!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
duggypuggy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Well done Sir
Its you who deserves a badge.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

Great result Nick and a lovely bit of detective work, very well done Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »

Oh, thats great Nick. Thanks very much. I bet she was in tears, I would have been. Cry Cry Cry

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »

Well done Nick. I bet she's still over the moon

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

Well done buddy good job well done remember were two all on the hammered count

WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

Well done buddy good job well done remember were two all on the hammered count

3-2 to me if i get hammered on saturday night lmao Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

rookypair

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »

Well done Nick, it must've been so satisfying from doing some investigating to reuniting the lady with her badges.

Bob and Cherry

Garrett Euroace and Ace 250
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »

Brilliant result. You deserve all the credit you get for that one. May be worth copying and pasting as a post on the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants's Blog if you can do that.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal