Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RING DECLARED TREASURE  (Read 1765 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: February 26, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »

Found by a metal detectrist in pembrokeshire Wink  (Trys member of DW)

Pembrokeshire Coroner delares north Pembrokeshire ring treasure
5:02pm Thursday 25th February 2010

A bronze age gold lock ring found in a north Pembrokeshire field was officially declared treasure by Pembrokeshire Coroner, Mark Layton, today (Thursday).

The ring, the first to be found in south and west Wales, was discovered in March 2009 by Trystan Johns, from Rhydlewis. Trystan is a member of Pembrokeshire Prospectors and has been metal detecting for seven years.

He found the ring two to three centimeters below the surface of a ploughed field at an undisclosed location in north Pembrokeshire.

At first 29-year-old factory worker didn't give his find much thought, he just put it in he pouch with his other finds.

"I didn't know it was something special at first," he said. "I was looking at it a couple of days later and I thought that looks a bit interesting.

"I washed it a little bit and it looked like gold."

Trystan notified the finds officer for Wales and the ring was sent to the National Museum Wales in Cardiff for analysis.

Adam Gwilt, curator for later prehistory at the museum, confirmed that the ring is a gold lock ring from the late bronze age, one of only four found in Wales and only 75 in Britain.

It is composed of 86-87% gold, 8-10% silver and 3-5% copper.

Lock-rings are small rings, made of sheet gold with terminals and a gap to a hollow centre. Some archaeologists have suggested they were used to gather bunches, braids or locks of hair, hence their name.

Though small items of decoration, they were probably worn as prized possessions by people of higher-status during the Late Bronze Age (1000-800BC).

Mr Gwilt said that the ring is relatively small and undecorated, and was once around 30mm in diameter. Though largely complete, it has been crushed near flat.

The discovery extends the distribution of such rings in Wales and suggests exchange links over the sea.

The ring will now be valued independently and National Museum Wales will seek to acquire it and in the future put it on public display. In this case the value would be split 50-50 between the Trystan and the landowner.

"I'm not in it for the money," said Trystan. "It feels great to have found it. I'm very happy. It's my first treasure find."

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/5029623.Ring_found_in_north_Pembrokeshire_field_declared_treasure/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:00:59 AM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »

Good post Kev. If memory serves me that item was first shown on DW before the finder was certain what it was. I think it was the first (and by no means last) bit of treasure found since DW launched. It'll be in the archieves somewhere in late November 2008 or early December 2008.

Cheers

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
zorro
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »

Neil if we can find it it might be worth putting in our database...just a thought.
zorro
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

first recoreded on this site on 03 April 2009. see "Gold item for I.D.", under "Beat the doc"  section. im going to see about putting it in our database, might need finder/posters permission first though will enquire.
Kev
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »

GLAD I POSTED IT NOW,did not realise it was put on here then  Wink
zorro
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »

well done Kev me boy. another scoop for DW !
Kev
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:15 AM »

i do try my best Grin Grin Grin
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »

wow,  who would have thought it by looking at it hey,  nice one,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal