Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: porthcawl beaches  (Read 8239 times)
jondav

« on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

Well the season has started , for my beach outings on the beaches of Porthcawl,and I have to say it,s been pretty disappointing,first outing to coney ,and just 3 coins,trecco next day, and one solitary 5p bit,whats happening here. I console myself with the fact it,s just a build up of sand,maybe people are not carrying the loose change they used to. Any body doing better along the south wales coast.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »

im sorry to say this but beach tectin for a newbie is hard ,,i mean changing ground conditions,loads of rubbish,sand,salt etc....best advice i could give is get some land inland learn your machine ,get  a good beach machine then have another go. 

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »

Was the highest Tide of the year today as well , which in turns means the lowest low tide.  Thought we mat have seen a few things turn up on site... maybe the weather put people off.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

Hey Paul, youre not joking. I went out yesterday. Eventually found a really hot spot but was totally confussed by the number of signals I got in a very small area. According to my M6 there must have been a fortune under my feet but as they were so deep I tried a couple and then had to ignore the rest. How do you even try to separate so many signals??? Embarrassed

Ever hopeful,    Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »

seperation dosent happen so much on fields {unless you are really lucky Grin}the rewards of a beach can be plentifull but for anybody new to the hobby they can be a bit daunting

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »

I've just thought of the answer. It's called a JCB Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

jcb would be handy for beach or inland Grin,,, i could never be a farmer, iwouldent grow nothing,just spend my time plouging Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
jondav

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »

im sorry to say this but beach tectin for a newbie is hard ,,i mean changing ground conditions,loads of rubbish,sand,salt etc....best advice i could give is get some land inland learn your machine ,get  a good beach machine then have another go. 
        Sorry mate but IM  no newbie,been at it since 1986, owned over 20 different detectors,and had probably 1000s of coins ,and quite a few rings,current detector is an explorer 2 ,just wanted some serious intelligent answers ,p.s. I know my macine quite well
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »

Well dont have much experience to pass pn but i do a lot of beach detecting with my little garrett  but my setting is always all metal low sensitivity , and  try not to complete a marathon in the beach but pass over and over again  zig zag . had few ring this year both gold and silver and a bit of gold jewellery bracelet , bands , pendant , start have a good little collection .

this week going to a very interesting beach , few old goodies been find there from old ship wreck .

they have been days where i find  nothing at all and the following day same place same spot and a ring so the sand move and u never know what will be there one day to the other.

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »

you may have been new to beach tectin sorry buddy ,if your griping or asking for advice ,take the rough with the smooth

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »

Ive been detecting beach,s for 10 years and only relatively recently detected inland then i Joined RARE.
Any multi frequency machine like the Explorer will do well on any type of sand including the wet stuff.
But many single frequency machines can do just as well with a bit of tweeking.
They say the Fisher F75 is the worst machine you can buy for wet sand and that isn't strictly true.
If you manually Ground balance to around 1 or 2 and lower the sence and run in in Default process its a very usefull beach detector.

One tip i picked up off an old timer
If your gridding a beach IE left to right  drag your spade behind you so you know where you've been.
With low sens this isn't a problem your detector shouldn't pick it up.

Happy beach combing ;0)
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 07:42:30 AM »

Jondav, was it you down chasing the tide out yesterday, then go around the point,??
 i was up the top of the beach, i went down late morning, a last minute disistion, not a lot there though either, just a couple of quid and a hand full of coppers,  not much though, but from my past experience there is a couple of locals that do it early in the mornings, and sometimes daytime, one i know hammers the top beach,

Val,  your machine could be senstive to the salt and minerals,  not all machines work good in the wet sand,   many many false signals it gives you a headache and is confusing,
 i get the same on the wet sand so don't stay there long,  but usually you'll know when you get something nice,  its a lot stronger the signal if you can stick through the constant chattering,
 the most i got out yesterday was a new packet of small lead fishing weights still sealed in the plastic packet and this,
Alan

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »

ohh yeah,  i did start  turning mine down Phil,  but that's as far as it got, i forgot to keep up with it and try it down further,  better go back today me finks and try it again, lol

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »

i was intrigued with this bit

"""Sorry mate but IM  no newbie,been at it since 1986, owned over 20 different detectors,and had probably 1000s of coins ,and quite a few rings,current detector is an explorer 2 ,just wanted some serious intelligent answers ,p.s. I know my macine quite well"""

so in 24years you've had 20 detectors? why change every year?

i am having difficulty in understanding the rationale!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »

Hi Alan

As you know there always a trade off when wet sand detecting with single frequency machines.
In an idea world you should be able to Wack up the sensitivity and find everthing. but there always a trade off with sens and depth this is the same inland and its even more apparent on Wet sand.
I think the key is not to be so greedy and lower the sens so you dont end up with an headache at the end of the day lol.

Atb
Phil

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal