Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When you find new ground to go on , how do you start your search?  (Read 4612 times)
hedgehog
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »

With the one I am on at the moment my expectations of finding anything were pretty low, haven't detected the field before because it's rarely free of crops. The first time I went there (the field is quite big, about 15 acres , no buildings nearby and no obvious occupation signs), I walked around the perimeter of the field. In some areas there was nothing coming up, then found a shilling at the one end, then shotgun cartridges , then the other end little bits of oxidised lead.
Should have known straight away to detect on that area marking it out but do like to wander now and again  Grin
It must have been on the twentieth visit I finally decided to mark out the area and the goodies are coming up.
They don't come easily but as you have seen from the posts the hammies are turning up.
Just reiterating that if you find the small oxidised lead (and the bigger thick pieces) then that is the area of the field that you are most likely to find the medieval goodies (or Roman).
Junkman

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »

If your machine allows it, run it in all metal and see where the iron is. Iron means old buildings and other human activity. Find the iron 'hotspots' then go over to discrim, slow down and search the area.

On a new field, I normally take a very wide Zig Zag pattern to cover as much ground as possible initially, looking for any hot spots along the way.

Also, check an OS map and look for water and search these areas.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »

Iron and lead are always a indicator of occupation (Roman sites are usually nail infested) I always run the machine
on little or none discrim to locate occupation areas. Alway turn tthe sensitivity down on mineralised areas because
they could hold some nice.goodies. Always check out high ground  and south facing slopes.A bit of field walkiing
useful to locate areas of occupation(dark areas or pottery) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »

I love finding lead on sites , always a good sign. I always run my machine in mixed mode. So I hear all my iron, its a really low toned   signal , well away from the high pure tone of good signals. Get a bit noiset at times but can also help to stop the iron masking good signals.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
coinhunter

Garrett Ace 150 - User

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »

A very interesting post, i will take all this advice in and use it,  when i get some land to search on, oh and my new detector, hopefully soon, coinhunter Wink

2010 Finds

1 x Silver Hammered Coin
1 x Georgian Silver Coin
4 x Post Victorian Silver Coins

Josh
waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »

Spend time in the evening and learn where all the old roads and footpaths were as up to 80% of all footpaths have disappeared in the last 165 years. Try and get a copy of the tithe map from the 1830,s which give a good idea of the type of fields and the field names for your area. Look at rivers and streams for fords and crossings. Study place names and get yourself a couple of books which are cheap on Amazon. Place names are huge clue to what has gone on previously. Learn your Strattons from your Chesters and your Leys from your Tons and you will soon home in on the hot spots. Also obvious things like fields next to churches, commons, chapels and old schools were usually hotspots for picnics and get togethers.
150aceboy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

Great advice boys , will take on board, Ace  Smiley Wink
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:02 PM »

and allways remember to turn your detector on  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:46:35 AM »

some good advice there
debs
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »

and allways remember to turn your detector on  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink

Thanks for the tip Phil, where would I be without you?  Grin Grin

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal