Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Aberystwyth  (Read 2581 times)
Phoenix1983
Rally attendee

« on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »

Hello everyone!

I've always been interested in metal detecting and archaology but thus far have never even used a metal detector. I've been wanting to take up the hobby for some time but as a busy mum life has kind of got in the way. My son is now 4 and I think it's the perfect time for us to take up the hobby together.

Have just ordered the Garrett Ace 250 and pro pointer to get us started can't begin to describe how excited I am for them to arrive! Have filled in the beach permit form so will probably start there and in the garden (and the gardens of all willing family members)  Grin

Spent the past few days reading this forum and others to get some idea of how to get started but was feeling a bit disheartened when I discovered I need permission to search absolutely everywhere, don't get me wrong, I appreciate that land is owned and I wouldn't want people turning up on my property unnanounced to start digging everywhere but I guess I figured public paths, parks etc would be okay.  Huh  If anyone has any advice about where I CAN search that would be great. I know the best thing to do is get permission from farmers and will have to work on that, but until then, where is the ideal place to get started.

Also, does anyone know of any detecting groups in my area? Would love to meet up with others locally.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »

Welcome Phoenix I guess you have done the easy bit, deciding to take up the hobby up and getting your first machine which incidentally is a great choice, lots on here use them so plenty of advice if you need it Wink getting permission from land owners is a bit more difficult but if you flutter your eyelids at them I'm sure you will secure land, until then try and get in to a club and certainly join us on our rally's .. Wink best of luck.
Phoenix1983
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »

Welcome Phoenix I guess you have done the easy bit, deciding to take up the hobby up and getting your first machine which incidentally is a great choice, lots on here use them so plenty of advice if you need it Wink getting permission from land owners is a bit more difficult but if you flutter your eyelids at them I'm sure you will secure land, until then try and get in to a club and certainly join us on our rally's .. Wink best of luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Would love to get into a club and come to rallys but I don't drive unfortunately and being a single parent it can be hard getting any free time, hence why I waited until my little one was old enough to join me  Grin
We can't wait to get out "treasure hunting" though, my little boy is very excited, I'm hoping his enthusiasm isn't short lived!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Hi Phoenix  and welcome to Detecting Wales.  Good choice of name for a Mom.  Just proves you can't keep a good one down though I think the little one will prove to be a double edged blade.
It would be great to take him with you when you go ask for permission but he will restrict some of the places that most of us take for granted as, in my opinion, they could be unsuitable for a 4 year old.  But  all you want is a nice enclosed 'little' field, with no cows or horses, so go ask.
You've already mentioned the two most suitable places.  The beach is an excellent choice and could keep you going till he's 14. The Garrett is a bit unstable on wet sand so start off up the top  on the dry.
Hope you both have a whale of a time and find some nice goodies.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Phoenix1983
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »

Hi Phoenix  and welcome to Detecting Wales.  Good choice of name for a Mom.  Just proves you can't keep a good one down though I think the little one will prove to be a double edged blade.
It would be great to take him with you when you go ask for permission but he will restrict some of the places that most of us take for granted as, in my opinion, they could be unsuitable for a 4 year old.  But  all you want is a nice enclosed 'little' field, with no cows or horses, so go ask.
You've already mentioned the two most suitable places.  The beach is an excellent choice and could keep you going till he's 14. The Garrett is a bit unstable on wet sand so start off up the top  on the dry.
Hope you both have a whale of a time and find some nice goodies.

Val

Hi Val,

Thanks so much for the welcome. My four year old can be a handful at times so wouldn't plan on taking him with me every time (I could persuade my mum to have him for a few hours at times if I offer her some of my "treasure" I'm sure)! I think it will be a fantastic way to get him interested in history though as we spend time researching our finds online when we get back home.

Also it's just a great excuse to enjoy the great outdoors, I don't want him cooped up in the house all the time but he tends to get bored on long walks so hoping this will hold his interest whilst we're out walking.

Beginning to wish I'd order my MD with express delivery now as I just can't wait to get out, even if it is only in the garden!

Grin
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:02:07 AM »

Welcome to the Detecting Wales Forum Pheonix and welcome to the hobby Wink

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal