Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you first get into metal detecting ?  (Read 2727 times)
peanut

« on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »

I thought that it might be interesting to hear from other detectorists about how they first got into detecting, what if anything inspired them , whether it be long ago before the advent of powered flight as in my case or perhaps more recently . Actually the reason for this thread is that I happen to be rather idle at the moment, nursing a bad back . Roll Eyes

For me I think that it all kicked off in about 1971.

I had, since an early age been fascinated with electronics and radio. Aged 6 or so I can clearly remember taking apart my Fathers portable Roberts Radio to see if I could 'fix it’ . Doubtless the radio probably worked fine before I opened it up to prod amongst the valves and immense batteries…

Even getting electrocuted aged 7 whilst ‘investigating’ the light fitting above my bed didn’t dampen my enthusiasm much and my electronics hobby lasted right through my school years until the present day ,eventually turning into a lucrative business.

But I digress…..So back to 1971. I decided to construct a small metal detector that I had seen advertised on the front of practical Electronics magazine. I believe the detector had been designed by a freelance, prolific  contributor to the magazine, named Andy Flind. (We’ll come back to Andy later ).  I duly collected together all the little transistors and resistors and capacitors needed together with endless yards of fine laquer- covered wire from which to wind the search coil.

The detector design suggested constructing the coil inside an 8” plastic plant pot base. I decided that it would be a good idea to construct the whole detector inside the  plastic plant pot base !. My reasoning behind this decision was that I could then detect incognito as it were. Living in East London at the time I frequently drove out to Tilbury and other places along the banks of the river Thames . I knew of several ‘historically interesting’ places including the remains of an old Fort where I probably wouldn’t exactly have been welcomed with open arms !

Despite spending many hours scrabbling about on my hands and knees with this home made detector at various places (including Gilston Churchyard in Old Harlow at 1am in the morning) I don’t recall ever finding anything of particular interest, however we certainly did have a lot of fun and some scary moments.

My next foray into diy Metal Detector construction came in 1982 which coincided nicely with my first term at Uni as a mature student. In those days students got a tidy grant to study every term and mature students got an even bigger grant!  Needless to say whilst most of the other freshers frittered their grants away on text books and in the student bar, I invested my first terms grant on the components to build  Andy Flind's  mother-of-all detectors the famous Magnum metal Detector !. A pin-pointing  discriminating detector with ground balance as advertised in Practical Electronics 1980  .

Did the detector get built ?  did it work ? did I continue my studies and get my degree ? or did I get arrested !. All will be revealed in a future episode of  ‘Peanut’s metal detecting adventures’.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:48:00 PM by peanut » Logged
glynkid

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »

As a young lad mymain hobby was sea fishing This in volved going to the muscle beds on the shores of the river mersey..I lived in Wallasey for many years....whilst digging for ragworm for the lay lines I used to put out way out on the sands mainly on the side of a gulley ..A lay line consisted of up to 100 hooks on a line with a stake at either end
each hook was baited with a ragworm and the incoming tide covered the line We went down again when the tide had  fell to low water again to collect the catch and to rebait the line for the next tide ..This meant  going out in all weathers at night and day It was a bit errie at night listening to the birds at night and looking at the marvel of the heavens above Sometimes a shooting star would shoot across the skies..one day whilst digging for bait out popped a george  the third penny not in bad condition a couple  of days later I heard of a person who found two gold soverigns whilst walking along the beach also we found large amounts of lead bullets which we used to make fishing weights out of melting them down in the shape of a w eight in egg boxes
I invested in my first detector which was a BFO machine costing 25  Pounds  it had no discrimination and a depth of approx otwo inches my first beach find was a GEORGE the fifth sixpence and a gold plated gents ring
I then purchesd a C scope machine but had to stop for  many years due to work comittments but in the 1980s I started detectig again and still do I have had many machines over the years and some nice finds

glyn kid
markymark123

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

The mrs last conversation with her late father was of that him telling her she should do metal detecting and to always detect around large tree's  Smiley we then visited our friends in reading and they had started a new hobby which was metal detecting  Cool after them letting us on their permission with their spare metal detectors we were hooked ! few days later came the garretts lol ..........still aint found nothing under those large tree's but will never ignore them and we always make our way firstly towards them on any permission , maybe one day  we will find our treasure  Grin that was last year so we r still quite new to the hobby.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:59:33 PM by markymark123 » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

an interesting thread ......

after 20+ years of working in a high pressured environment dealing with teenagers aggressive behaviours, i had to develop a hobby which allowed me to unwind before getting home, as i was offloading all the emotion onto my family.

the solution came one summer holiday when i got involved in an excavation of a roman villa. A detectorist [who had found the site], had the answer i was looking for. He took me under his wing and introduced me to the hobby and the importance of recording

we established a routine of daily sorties to the fields after my work had finished. It proved to be extremely therapeutic and i will always be forever in his debt.

My colleague is now approaching his 80's and we still manage a couple of outings each week. A lovley man, who i know, saved my sanity.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »

I started about 1990.

I was in a pub one night with a mate who is a history nut and we'd sunk a few pints. He mentioned he fancied detecting
and did I want to have a go. It seemed a good idea at the time, going treasure hunting.

Well, I bought a second hand C-Scope (CS2M) and he got permission of a farmer friend.

I had a Roman grot and was hooked.

I blame the beer that night!  Grin

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »

I blame the beer that night!  Grin

LOL -- guess it wasn't Brains then!!!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

mu cousin told me he had found 3 rings in a metre square patch of beach and i thought crikey that must easy to get loads of rings,how wrong i was lol.
 as soon as i borrowed my 1st detector i went to an old park and within 5 mins had 3 predecimal coins that was me hooked,then 8 months later i got a gold ring the day i was laid off work,now im not hooked but obsessed lol.
 more like a part time job than a hobby to me.
 cheers mike

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal