Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A request concerning the Battle of St Fagans  (Read 1782 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

I have been asked to pass on this request...

I am currently researching the Battle of St Fagans on 8th May 1648 and it's aftermath, and wonder if any of our members have detected in the St Fagans area.  I am specifically interested in the area west of Crofft-y-Genau Lane, which runs directly north from St Fagans village, and extending as far west as Penmon and Llanbeder.

As the Battle of St Fagans deteriorated from a set-piece to a running series of small actions the actual area covered may be more extensive than first thought.  I am particularly interested in finds of cannon balls and muskets balls, especially if they have been accuratly logged with GPS, etc.  The concentration of muskets balls will indicate the 'fall of shot' and cannon balls will give an idea of the calibre of artillery used.

It has already been seen that metal detectorists can come up with the 'goods' as the finding of the real battle of Bosworth has illustrated.  The Battle of Naseby is now known to have been much more extensive in area than first though, by the findings of an interested local detectorist and there is no reason to believe that St Fagans is any different.  St Fagans gets little mention in the general literature of the English Civil War, but it was an interesting battle in as much that there were both 'Royalists' and 'Parliament' supporters fighting on the same side, and had it not been for the discipline and professionalism of the troops from the New Model Army, the situation may have been very different".

If anyone has information, they could contact me through my email address which is gordon@gordontheguide.co.uk.  All information will be treated in confidence where requested.  Many thanks to all.

Once again, this is not my query please contact Gordon at his email address. Don't PM me.

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:00:57 PM by proconsul » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal