Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles II 'wanted' poster auctioned in Shropshire  (Read 2150 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: March 04, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »

A rare "wanted" poster for Charles II is due to be auctioned in Shropshire next week................................................

Charles escaped to Boscobel in Shropshire in 1651

Richard Westwood-Brookes, from Mullock's Auctioneers, said it had a guide price of £700 to £1,000.

The poster offers a reward of £1,000 for the capture of the king, who had escaped after the battle of Worcester.

Mr Westwood-Brookes said the money would be the equivalent of more than £75,000 today.

Issued by Oliver Cromwell's parliament, the proclamation calls for "the discovery and apprehending of Charles Stuart and other traitors, his adherents and abettors."

If he had been captured, Mr Westwood-Brookes said Charles would have almost certainly faced execution.

He added: "Had Charles been captured, it is most unlikely we would ever have returned to being a monarchy.

"In this year when we are celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of our Queen, it is worth remembering that the event would never be taking place if someone had been successful in collecting the reward."

After the execution of Charles I in 1649, his son raised an army to try to regain the throne.

After defeat to parliamentary forces at the Battle of Worcester, Charles fled to Shropshire, where he hid in an oak tree at Boscobel.

The monarchy was eventually restored with Charles II in 1661.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

from the above post last week................................................. Wink

King Charles II 'wanted' poster fetches £33,000............

Charles escaped to Boscobel in Shropshire in 1651
A rare "wanted" poster for Charles II has been sold for just over £33,000 at an auction in Shropshire.

The poster offers a reward of £1,000 for the capture of the king, who had escaped after the battle of Worcester in 1651.

Auctioneer Richard Westwood-Brookes said the sale price was "astonishing". It had a guide price of £700 to £1,000.

The poster was bought by someone from the Boscobel area of Shropshire, where Charles II had hidden in an oak tree.

Mr Westwood-Brookes said: "I'm pleased that the British public are interested in our heritage to this extent."

Issued by Oliver Cromwell's parliament, the poster calls for "the discovery and apprehending of Charles Stuart and other traitors, his adherents and abettors".

Following the execution of Charles I in 1649, his son raised an army to try to regain the throne.

After defeat by parliamentary forces at the Battle of Worcester, Charles II fled to Shropshire, where he hid in an oak tree.

The monarchy was eventually restored with Charles II in 1661.
win

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

I visited Boscobel House last year, think its an English Heritage site. The oak tree Charles 11 is supposed to have hidden in is still there, you have to walk through the next field, a few hundred yards to get to it. Not very impressive, quite battered but wouldn't we all be 300 years old. I was wondering if the poster has been bought by a friends of Boscobel House group and it will be going on display in due course ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal