Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronze Age Moulton  (Read 1319 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

Bronze Age Moulton comes under the spotlight
 thursday 14th April 2011

A BRONZE Age barrow could become a 21st century monument if historically-minded councillors can save it.

Moulton Parish Council discussed how and if they could raise awareness of the Moulton Mound, a scheduled monument at the top of the lane to Moultonbank Farm.

Clr Tony Rigby said: “It’s one of those things that we don’t jump up and down and shout about in terms of Moulton’s heritage.

“To have a site of such historic importance – a scheduled monument that’s about 4,000 years old – in our village, is worthy of at least a plaque or a sign.

“It’s how or what we do to raise awareness and if we feel we need to do anything about it – although it’s one of only two in Cheshire I believe.”

He added: “It’s on Cheshire West and Chester Council’s website, listed as of historic importance, and as a scheduled monument registered with English Heritage.

“It’s had hits from all over the world from people investigating bronze age barrows.

“Because we live in the village we don’t attach any importance to it but if someone suddenly turned up in the village with a pyramid we would have lots of visitors – well this pre-dates the pyramids.”

The barrow is a Bronze Age burial mound, when mounds of earth and stone were placed over a burial or a cremation.

Moulton Mound is thought to be at risk because it is on farmland, so could be damaged by ploughing, and had a water tower on top of it until the 1960s.

Clr Arthur Wood said: “I’m puzzled about what’s actually there – it’s had a water tower on it which must have disturbed it.”

The parish council decided to write for English Heritage to ask for advice on what could or should be done.

It will also write to the landowner.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal