Herd of cows? Of course I've heared of cows.

(1/7) > >>

Dryland:
There was a discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about the
danger of metal detecting near cows. what happened to me tonight I swear is absolutely true.
                                     I went out for an hour tonight  on my local permission,
in the first field there were only two cows , so I kept a close eye on them and started detecting.
moved onto the second field which was empty, after about a  1/4 of an hour some cows had entered the field behind me from somewhere and started heading towards me cutting off my way
out of the field. so I made a way through a hedge into a third field, only to be met by
more pregnant cows and some with calves. I quickly edged my way across the field and on reaching the other side unoticed or so I thought, I decided to make my way slowly along a fence
hoping that once i got to the top I could exit by a gate. Then all hell broke loose about 5 or 6
cows formed a line and started slowly towards me then speeded up, I started to run and so did they. The fence in question was the square wire type with a single strand of wire about six inches above.
                                    Picture a 51 year old handsome man {ok that parts not true I'm nearly 52 }
with a spade in one hand , a metal detector attached to me by a bungee cord, diving over that
fence. I cleared it. I looked around and I swear those cows were laughing at me.The only way back to the van was to walk in an old dried up canal which was full of leaves and mud,and
brambles, along the length of the field watched closely by the cows who followed me all the way,
albeit on the other side of the fence. Was I glad to get home .
 BEWARE COWS ARE DANGEROUS. the next time I want to see one is in a burger

jaydogg:
Had more or less the same experience the other week - a group of cows ran from me, re-grouped with more cows and charged at me! Sounds like you had a lucky escape Dryland.  :D

Dryland:
lucky escape, my physiotherapist would have been proud of me lol

mrstonytrees:
My husband and I were out in the snow about 20 years ago rabbiting and it was just about dusk. We were walking in single file and I was at the back. Uknown to me a cow and calf had followed me on the other side of the fence and in the snow I didn't hear them sneaking up. Next thing , a very loud "moooo" in my ear! I jumped and fell into a drainage ditch - my husband was laughing so much he couldn't get me out!

Much respect to cows -ninjas in disguise!! ;D

Val Beechey:
One thing I learned was that they don't like the tones  from the detector. It was a hot day and my ears were red hot from the phones so I decided to take them off and un-plug them and went on my way. I soon became aware of a ruckus in the next field. There must have been about 50 + youngsters in there. Some had been following me along the hedge and at the sound off the detector they went ape. They had just been interested before and quite calm. Behaviour was soon picked up by the others and there was mayhem, youngsters running wildly in all directions and boy can they run.
I was never so glad to be the other side of a hedge.

Val 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page