Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE  (Read 5862 times)
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »

if i made a love spoon for my wife i know where it would end up , and i know i would end up in the royal glamorgan hospital  Grin Grin ,im a welshman born and breed and i dont know of anyone that makes love spoons ,it may have been a tradition 100s of years ago and maybe some villages still cash in on the past i think more popular down west wales than south ?? , pound notes are the only thing south wales women like  Grin Grin

the mighty xp Deus
JBM

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »

Here is my favourite one from over the years.

Holed for a suspension loop.

How I would love to return it to the loser.  Wink Jerry.

* Charles I Two Pence Love Token..jpg (71.97 KB, 599x293 - viewed 613 times.)
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »

I have found a few silver love tokens on farms in N Wales - I showed one to a farmer near Caernarfon aged over 100 and he told me that in Wales the young man would smooth a silver sixpence to remove the picture and then fold it. He would give it to a sweetheart after she agreed to be his girlfriend. (no jewellery shops nearby) He said that occasionally they would have his and her initials on it.  He said that they would not be able to meet in the actual farmhouse as it was considered indecent so would meet socially at the point at which the two neighbouring farms met - usually at a gate etc.  If the relationship failed badly she would fling the token over the gate towards the boy's farm - hence the large number we find on farms, especially near roads, paths, stiles and gates.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »

Rob I was told the same story virtually word for word by a farmer about 10 years ago, I was a believer back then, I said that that was brilliant as I'd often wondered if it was true to which he relied "apparently yes, we had a guy detecting here about 3 years ago and he found one and told me what it was" lol. It just seems a little difficult to believe that all these women are going around throwing the equivalent of £50 notes into fields Huh and if they were doing it 100 years ago where are all the bent Vicy coins Huh
It is a "nice" explanation and that's why it will probably remain the accepted one Undecided
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »

Geoff, what's value got to do with it.  I threw a £200 ring over the hedge the week before I got married. And that was 1963.
At that point I wouldn't have cared if it cost ten times that. 

Val

(and Yes I got it back after searching next doors garden for most of the rest of the week) 
Just had to chuckle to myself. I was re-living the moment and remembered the ring was followed by an ironing board  Grin Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
nonker10

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

true geoff but ithink it must have gone out of fashion in victorian times because i have never found a viccy love token.but i have found them right back to liz 1st.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

Grin Grin Grin yes but but I've found 3 in one field Cheesy she must have been very unlucky in love and not too bright with finances either Cheesy I bet you could have done with the Safari back then Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »

true geoff but ithink it must have gone out of fashion in victorian times because i have never found a viccy love token.but i have found them right back to liz 1st.
Ah but this is the great dating trap that we all fall into at some point we can date the latest use but not the first, Lizzy coins would have only been 100 years old during Billy's reign and so could have been bent at any time in the same way that pierced Roman coins are often attributed to the Saxons wearing them hundreds of years later Undecided
nonker10

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »

true as the hammereds were fazed out during his reign we will never know for sure.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »

Sorry Geoff. I am just engaging in discussion. Never for one moment am I out to insult anybody and If my comments are taken as such then I apologise to you and everyone else. I feel that it will be unwise of me to try and promote further discussion if my intentions are misinterpreted. I can see that you don't really know me.

I had read somewhere that, in the past, it was a Welsh custom for wooden spoons to be hand carved by young men hoping to impress a loved one. That's all.

I didn't take offence John, they did used to carve spoons, not sure if they still give them as expressions of Love though.

XP Deus user
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »

I found a William sixpence folded into love token a few weeks ago and it's engraved with the letters JJ. I've got a couple of other ones that are engraved with initials too, any ideas why ?  I've also found a Henry viii half groat made into a love token an a couple of Lizzies similar.

I've got a cartwheel penny with initials stamped into it, worn smooth as well. Like to see someone bend that bugger into an s shape!

XP Deus user
nonker10

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »

i wonder if someone had a vice or simiar tool especially bent into this shape to make these love tokens, that people would pay a nominal amount to someone to prove their affections to their lady?or man maybe??
nonker10

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »

by that last comment i mean given to a man by a woman.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal