Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE  (Read 5864 times)
John Winter

Scribbler

« on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »

There’s been an update to my blog post on Love Tokens from John Mills … I think you should take a look.

http://www.johnwinter.net/jw/?s=love+tokens

grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »

Most interesting.

Grego
digitup
NWDD Member

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »

Ye enjoyed that john great read
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »

The myth continues Huh I'm one of those that holds no truck with the "love token" idea there are just too many, if every UK based detectorist counted up their William III sixpences the vast majority would be bent in to so called love tokens neither do I ascribe to the counterfeit checking theory as counterfeiting wasn't any greater during his reign and in fact a lot lower than it was in the times of monarchs that came after.
There is no documented evidence of double bending coins which is in itself strange given it's widespread practice in what appears to be a short lived "fashion".

Lets take a look and the much quoted rhyme:-

There was a crooked man (this obviously points to the widespread suffering from osteoporosis) and he walked a crooked mile (no town planning back then)
He found a crooked sixpence (love token? yeah right) upon a crooked stile (thank God for the Ramblers Association)
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse (animal welfare was atrocious in those days)
And they all lived together in a little crooked house (overcrowded and substandard housing was rife)

No I'm sorry it's not a social commentary put in rhyme Undecided

There is however a documented custom (superstition) from an earlier age of coins being bent when offering a prayer (wish) to a saint which is only an offshoot of the Romans offering coins in to water and us throwing coins into wishing wells so could they be just lucky charms though even this doesn't really explain why there are so many Huh

In her book "Nummits and Crummits : Devonshire customs, characteristics, and folk-lore" published in 1900 Sarah Hewett lists things that bring good luck one of these is
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:43:18 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

I've always wondered how the hell they bent them with their fingers! I've tried and it's damn near impossible to get an s shape, they must have used pliers or jammed them in into something to bend them.

XP Deus user
John Winter

Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »

The myth continues ...

It's always interesting to hear another point of view and yours is especially interesting Geoff, as you offer another explanation.

Why so many? I can make a guess that so many are found on farmland - and especially prolific where fairs were held (perhaps a good place for young people to meet). Love tokens are usually very worn and thin, hotmill. Maybe that type were easier to bend.

Do the Welsh still have the custom of giving a wooden spoon as a love token, or is that another myth?

david995

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

just throwing this out there as well ..  could it be that they have been bent just by whatever ? plough , accident etc etc especially if it appears the thinner coins are bent

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »

Do the Welsh still have the custom of giving a wooden spoon as a love token, or is that another myth?[/size]
Yes John and we all still wear flat caps, go to Chapel every Sunday and sing Cwm Rhondda as we march home from a days work down the pit Roll Eyes
Is that a veiled insult?
I haven't found that they are more prolific in any one place fair site or otherwise and why would young people be wandering around with sixpences, yes these individuals would have been working and so had money but sixpence would have represented more than a days wage for most and if this was the case then you would expect a greater number of the lower denominations to be present Huh

Will I did hear someone suggest that if you put them in a door jamb you can bend them easily Wink
John Winter

Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

Sorry Geoff. I am just engaging in discussion. Never for one moment am I out to insult anybody and If my comments are taken as such then I apologise to you and everyone else. I feel that it will be unwise of me to try and promote further discussion if my intentions are misinterpreted. I can see that you don't really know me.

I had read somewhere that, in the past, it was a Welsh custom for wooden spoons to be hand carved by young men hoping to impress a loved one. That's all.

JohnF

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »

I made a wooden love spoon for my wife to give her on our wedding day. The gift shops around North wales have love spoons in all shapes and sizes for sale, so it would seem that the tradition still continues. Heres a link to a bit of background on lovespoons. http://www.welsh-love-spoons.co.uk/history
A very interesting read, John, on the love token theory, always enjoy reading your blog posts. Do you have any theories on folded medieval coins? I,ve had a couple off one field which seem to have been deliberately folded and I've seen others recorded by detectorists too.

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.
John Winter

Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »

I made a wooden love spoon for my wife to give her on our wedding day. The gift shops around North wales have love spoons in all shapes and sizes for sale, so it would seem that the tradition still continues. Heres a link to a bit of background on lovespoons. http://www.welsh-love-spoons.co.uk/history
A very interesting read, John, on the love token theory, always enjoy reading your blog posts. Do you have any theories on folded medieval coins? I,ve had a couple off one field which seem to have been deliberately folded and I've seen others recorded by detectorists too.

Thanks for the reply John ... and the link. Good to see that the tradition still continues.
I don't have any theories about the coins. Sorry.

Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »

. Do you have any theories on folded medieval coins? I,ve had a couple off one field which seem to have been deliberately folded and I've seen others recorded by detectorists too.
[/quote

We had this come up in our recent talk.  Apparently in the days before pockets, coins would have been bent around a length of twine therefore enabling the coins to be carried more safely if the owner was to poor too even own a purse.
The twine could then be tied around the neck or wrist. Obviously it wasn't foolproof.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:10:34 PM by Radnor Bandit (Ian) » Logged
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

I found a William sixpence folded into love token a few weeks ago and it's engraved with the letters JJ. I've got a couple of other ones that are engraved with initials too, any ideas why ?  I've also found a Henry viii half groat made into a love token an a couple of Lizzies similar.
JohnF

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »

[quote author=Radnor Bandit (Ian)

We had this come up in our recent talk.  Apparently in the days before pockets, coins would have been bent around a length of twine therefore enabling the coins to be carried more safely if the owner was to poor too even own a purse.
The twine could then be tied around the neck or wrist. Obviously it wasn't foolproof.
[/quote]
Sounds very plausible. Thanks for the reply.

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »

Many thanks for a very intreaging and fascinating article. I have been fortunate enough to find an example of this but never understood the story behind it,great bit of research, well done.😁

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal