Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales.com Rally - Number Fifteen - Chepstow III - The Roman Rally  (Read 11357 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: March 21, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

Once again our arrangement with the weather man paid off and we were treated to fine weather for our third visit to the Chepstow area. This was our second visit to this particular farm, although on different fields, so we knew that we had a good chance of the day being productive.

The area has a strong Roman history and during the day the assembled members found plenty of evidence of that. It was a remarkably good turnout considering the rather short notice of the rally that we were able to give and very few of the people who had signed up for the rally didn’t turn up on the day.

There were plenty of fields available for detecting and once we had explained where members could and couldn’t go most people headed for the nearest large field which was next to the parking field. This immediately started to produce finds and within a couple of minutes Mr and Mrs Handyman unearthed the first Roman coin, a bronze, possibly second century.

This field was occupied by a flock of sheep and with the concentration of all the members in this single field, large as it was, the sheep became seriously spooked and started stampeding round the circumference of the field. As they were obviously distressed, the farmer asked us to vacate this particular field to avoid any further agitation of the sheep. Everyone therefore left this field and spread out over the surrounding land.

Bluebell was the next to strike it lucky. Having first extracted a coin-like object that she was certain was a Roman coin but turned out to be a button, she walked a couple of steps further and turned up a lovely example of a Constantine II (I think) bronze.

Meanwhile, on another part of the farm Steven King had unearthed a small metal horse’s hoof, presumably from a small statue. This has yet to be identified but I wouldn’t mind betting that it’s Roman.

I myself made my way up to one of the higher fields and it wasn’t long before I unearthed a silver shilling of George IV that I was rather pleased with. Talking to several of the other members, rumours started to circulate that a bronze arrowhead or spearhead had been found. Investigating further, this turned out to be true and Phil Ynysboeth turned out to be the finder.

Phil found the object at the edge of the woodland and it appears to be a large bronze tanged arrowhead, although some people think it may be a small spearhead. I think we may have to declare this the find of the day. I certainly wouldn’t have minded finding it.

The first hammered of the day came from JENKS who turned up a rather battered example, but a hammered nevertheless.

Rambo continued the Roman theme of the day by discovering a lovely fibula brooch in nice condition. He then compounded the feat by finding part of another one.

Bluebell contributed by following up her Roman coin with a nice fibula of her own and ancientpat got into the act with yet another nice fibula.

Several other members turned up Roman coins, including OzzyHead Steve, who didn’t realise he had a Roman until he was going through his ‘rubbish’ pile at the end of the rally. He was probably distracted by the fact that he had just found his first ever hammered – a nice James Ist half groat.

Ancientpat and peterh both added to the tally of Roman coins. Byron departed from the ‘Roman’ theme by turning up a nice ‘bullhead’ sixpence and Roman (Ray) found a George VI silver shilling.

Altogether it was a productive and enjoyable day. Those people who were still around once the rally had finished were given a bit of farming experience by helping the farmer move some of his cows from one cowshed, along the road to another. Those of us who took part in this cattle drive can officially now call ourselves ‘cowboys’ (or cowgirls if appropriate).

Thanks once again to Tafflaff (Rob) for finding us the farm.

Geoff

Postscript:
I didn't see Steven King at the end of the rally but found out later that not only did he find a nice Elizabeth I groat but also unearthed a cracking William III half crown!  See here for details:
http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=6816.0
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:04:05 PM by Neil » Logged
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »

More pics...
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

And more...
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »

Yet more...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:42:42 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »

thx geoff - another great day --

well done to everyone who found something.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:16:58 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »

Some lovely finds there. Well done to everyone wished i could have been there today.

Ade
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »

Excellent write up, Geoff. If I had thought, Rob could've taken a pic of my finial, lol.

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »

Great report and pics and thanks again Geoff for another great day out. See here for more finds (Mine, Pat's and Steven King's):

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=6816.msg65794#msg65794

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=6817.msg65796#msg65796

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=6814.msg65791#msg65791
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

another great DW rally !...what a load of finds came up...a great haul.....many thanks to the organisers.....much appreciated.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »

what a lovely day.to do some detecting.
nearly everyone i spoke to had found something werth keeping.romans.hammerds
bronze artefacts lots of other tipes of coinage.the day was so exiteing.
you knew it was out there.i thought if im going to get my first hammered or roman coin. today could be it roman ray.lol.
unfortunetly today was.nt it.as i found out at the end of the day.lol.
i had to settle for silver one shilling which i was over the moon with anyway.
welldone to all your great finds from today.it was a great days detecting girls +boys.
great write up geoff.and also cheers to you and tafflaff for organising it welldone men.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »

A very enjoyable day out Smiley Well signposted so even i managed to find it Roll Eyes Embarrassed, Cheers lads Wink
Good productive fields, easy digging, easy parking and great company, just about as good as gets.
And we got to play cowboys at the end Lol Smiley
Thanks everyone.
Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:12 AM »

Great day out and put more faces to DW usernames lol
I found 2 coins and a lovely silver effect ring
enjoyed chatting to lots of different people lovely day out
well done rob for getting the farm and to admin geoff for organising it
cant wait for the next one now
I was also there at the end and became a cowgirl lol
debs

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »

Well how,d Partners  !

I must have missed the cattle round up ;0(
Ive got vast experience with old cows I was with my Ex wife for 21 years  Tongue

This was my 1st real Days detecting since the last Rookebridge rally back in 1009
As some of you know im not a lover of the cold brrrrr
Geoff,s delivery of warm sunshine was a welcome addition to a great day  ;0)

Anyway thanks Rob thanks Geoff I had a fantastic days detecting, not only because of my finds but for also meeting up with some of my Dw buddys and chewing the Cud (cow referance lol) with some friends old and new

all the very best
Phil Jones
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »

Well done to all , some great finds , wish i could have been there.

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
cronge (richard)

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »

well done all,looks like you all had a good day,with some good finds,

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal