Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com rally Number Fourteen - Chepstow - Feb 21st 2010  (Read 17621 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »

The auspices did not look terribly good for our second Chepstow rally. Rob checked with the farmer the previous evening and been assured that there was no covering of snow on the rally farm. It then proceeded to rain all night in some parts of South Wales and snow all night in others. So it was with some trepidation that the braver and non-snowbound members of DW made their way to Chepstow.

However, our normal arrangement with the weather man once more paid off and apart from a ten minute shower at the start the weather stayed fine and sunny all day. There was a snow covering on some of the surrounding higher hills but the rally farm was clear and pretty firm considering the amount of rain and snow we’ve had recently.

On my own journey to the site my satnav decided to take me off the route I’d sent out in the rally details and sent me over the top of the highest hill it could find. Consequently I had to make my way up and down steep inclines on roads covered in several inches of snow and ice.

Having motored several miles in a kind of controlled skid with the van travelling down the road sideways at some points I was glad to finally get to the rally site, although a little later than I would normally get there to set things up. Fortunately Tafflaff (Rob) had got to the site before me and was directing members to the parking area.

After the normal gathering to let everyone know which fields could be detected on, the members dispersed over the farm. The area had a strong Roman and Iron Age pedigree and the first interesting finds to turn up were Roman coins. Davtec and Bluebell both had a couple each. Davtec’s coin was a lovely example of a first or second century Roman bronze, tentatively identified as an As of Vespasian but perhaps the Doc would like to confirm the ID from the pictures?

As all the Roman coins had been found in the top portion of the parking field this was considered to be the Roman ‘hotspot’ and lots of members congregated in this area trying to add to the tally.

The next find of interest was from Shunggav with a fine Saxon strapend found in the middle of the parking field. He also had a nice horse boss. Adesace came up with an interesting pendant with a cross on a shield on one side and engraving on the reverse.

After lunch a lot of members ventured up to the fields north of the road that ran through the farm. A couple of people strayed beyond the boundary of the farm onto an adjoining field. Having told the people that were there that we couldn’t detect there I subsequently spoke to the farmer and we were told that he did indeed own that particular field and that we could detect on it.

We therefore opened up that field and it proved to be a productive piece of  land. Igglepiggle had an Elizabeth I hammered threepence and I myself had an unusal inscribed love token. Searcher had a particularly nice silver object, possibly a pendant, inlaid with flat stones. Melonhead also did well with a lovely engraved silver brooch.

Whilst a lot of us were busy on the North fields 16:DD found a lovely Edward II half groat back on the parking field. Meanwhile, Beachboy, deciding to have a final half hour on the part of the parking field previously hammered by the Roman hunters, turned up, just a couple of inches under the surface, the find of the day – a gold hammered in excellent condition. It has yet to be identified but it is possibly a quarter noble.

So despite the initial worries about the weather the day turned into a really enjoyable one with objects and coins from a wide time period turning up and the added pleasure of fine views across the Severn Estuary and the old Severn Crossing.

Geoff
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:07:05 PM by Neil » Logged
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »

More pics...
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »

More pics...
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »

More pics...
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »

Good report, Geoff. Could you please also edit in, "Leighton wandered about aimlessly, clearing the farmers soil of all its buried junk."

Smiley

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:49:46 PM »

I had a good day , I managed to get in a good 20 mins of detecting in between talking  Cheesy

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Rob, Thanks for talking me in BTW, i was about to give up and go home, by the sound of things, Geoff has the same Sat nav As RJM, who i was following Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »

I was surprised to see you with a walkie talkie, Rob. Do you really need a device to let your voice carry even further?

(running away)

Wink

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »

My voice is a diminutive whisper that carries gently on the echo of laughter  Cheesy

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

ROFL! I'm not gonna argue with that, bud.

Smiley

Terry

I WANT TO FIND MORE PULL TABS

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »

I was two fields away, and could still hear Rob,  with my headphones on,  I don't know who talked the most today Rob or Debs. Cheesy
without discrimination. Grin
Kiwi Terry
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »

Great report and pics Geoff, and some nice finds. The Roman does look like Vespasian to me. I'm still trying to make sense of the quarter-noble.
Terry

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »

I noticed that a few took advantage of Neil being on his own collecting the money today,  I seen two peeps had the money ready to pay, but when Geoff passed they put it away,  I don't know who they were but at least i paid and didn't have to hide from Geoff all day,  shame on you,  how many others didn't pay???.  A lot of work is put into finding the land and running the site and rallies, don't take advantage and pay like the rest of us.
Kiwi Terry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:08:21 AM by Debbie » Logged
Terry

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »

I meant Geoff on his own Embarrassed
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »

Well all I can say is it is bad if people have done that I know that I paid for myself and Steve and the might thor paid as well i know that
debs

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal