Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie port talbot  (Read 4947 times)
Montydog
Rally attendee

« on: May 29, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »

Hi all and thank you for accepting my request to join. Never held a detector in my life but just purchased a Garrett 150 as it seems a good beginners one. Delivery Monday (can't wait) will keep you all informed of my expected beginners luck.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »

Welcome to DW Monthdog and good look with your new machine, if you have any questions don't be scared to ask Wink
Montydog
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »

Obvious question is where can I dig apart from Aberavon beach? Need permissions but don't know any farms etc. thanks
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

Nobody does when they start but the best way to get permission is to go to the farmhouse and ask, I know that this can seem a bit daunting at first but you'll be surprised that if you dress presentably and don't mention the word treasure lol oh and go at a time that the farmer is there but not halfway through his meal you'll be surprised how approachable they are, you'll hear a lot of people saying they just can't get permission but many are sending letters in the post which to a farmer fits in the category of junk mail Wink
Montydog
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »

Many thanks, I'll have to google local farms as not Welsh born and bred (Geordie). Is there a best time of the year regarding farms letting you dig as I presume the would not like you digging up their turnips? Also would be helpful to know if there is a bad section on Aberavon to avoid? And should this all be asked on another section. Many thanks.
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »

welcome montydog and hope you have lots of finds.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »

Welcome Montydog,I hope you find everything and more in all you go searching for,good luck,and the Garrett  Ace 150 is a great intro machine!!👍
wondering

NCMD Member

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »

Welcome Montydog, there's a few people from around the area I'm down Bridgend and a lot gain permissions so if you do get a no don't be disheartened just take it on the chin and ask the next, you will get one. I've been lucky, asked 5 and get 4 so just ask and see what happens.

George

There is something to be found in every field....

Milled silver x 11
Hammered silver x 9
Pre-decimal (a lot)
Roman artefact x 2
Roman silver coins x1
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »

You have just got to pluck up the courage and knock on the farmers door. I have been knocked back numerous times but there is s lot of friendly farmers out there that are more than happy to let you on their fields, don't worry about been a Geordie as i am from Hull in Yorkshire originally.If a farmer is going to refuse you it is not because of where you are from it.'s just in that particular farmers nature to be anti social as personally I find the welsh very friendly people
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »

alright bud ,when i started i used old footpaths and old play grounds,i started with an ace 250.
 good luck
   mike
p.s dont bother with aberavon ,i never find much there lol. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »

Welcome to the DW Forum Montydog and good luck with the permission. Why not join up with a detecting club as well.  The Swansea
metal detecting club meet once a fortnight at the Coopers Arms in Plasmarl [ by the Liberty Stadium ] on a Wednesday night at 7.30pm. Check out their website, they hold regular rallies for members. There is  also at least one member from Port Talbot who is a member Wink

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »

welcome to the forum  Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 05:38:44 AM »

i second that,swansea club has a good bunch of peeps and we have a lot of land to play on.

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Montydog
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »

Many thanks to all. Swansea club it is, but I guess there is membership fees etc so will have to start saving up. Would my son, age 9 bee too young for membership? Many thanks in advance. Roy montydog gibson.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum , i am in Port Talbot too the best way to find lands just see few local farmers with a bottle of wine and a friendly atitude like me lol goes a long way  100% one will say yes . Best of luck  and Happy Hunting .

Wink Nap.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal