Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A question of ethics ? Really want to know  (Read 4446 times)
win

« on: November 26, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

Recently I asked permission at a new farm. The farmer was great, said come anytime. In talking he mentioned that 2 other detectorists, who I know slightly, had been there a number of times but no one had been for at least 2 years.  What do you think ?  Do I steer clear because others might regard it as 'their' ground ? Even after 2 years ? Could they have any argument against me ?   Or do I say, well its the farmer's ground after all, what he says goes as fas as I'm concerned.
           And if you think, after 2 years of nobody visiting, its OK. Would you go there even if someone was still currently detecting there ?
              A friend of mine recently got really angry because someone had been detecting on 'his' farm. When I asked him, it turned out he'd not been there for 10 years, completely stupid in my opinion, if we followed this idea, it would be possible to tie up great areas of land for years, even if we couldn't get round to detecting them. I'm sure some try to do this.
               But back to my question, do you think I should go there ?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »

yes , you were not to know someone else had permission on there , its the farmers land and choice who he gives his permission too so crack on and fill ya boots matey Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »

Certainly yes.
As far as etiquette is concerned, they've not been there for two years. 
People can't expect any land to be theirs for the foreseeable future. Its the farmers land after all.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
carling2

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

all this my land your land rubbish is well over stated and leads to many bust ups and its stupid,,,.some people on here will say oh look its carling hes got more land than crown estates Grin,,sorry I gave away 80% of my permissions earlier this year as I just didn't have the time and to be honest it dosent matter where people go we all find the same tat anyway if somebody came on my remaining land that I have left then yes I would be peeved as I detect it regulary and have done for a long time but anything ive been on once in the past or haven't bothered with for ages then its fair game,,some people collect land like coins and stamps {why?} I know from experience that a good productive area can last years,,ive still only done 50% of land I started on 7 years ago {and it regulary gets turned over}..so yes back to the point  Smiley if nobodys been on it for 2 years go for it,, its the farmers land anyway.
whosyouruncle

Dig attender

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

GO  for it. Smiley

whosyouruncle
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »

As Mike said, if the farmer says it's ok, then it's his farm at the end of the day.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

Just ask yourself one question and you've got the ethical answer.

If the Farmer hadn't told you about the other fellas would you have thought twice about going. Of course you wouldn't. Get out there and enjoy yourself.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »

If you got the land owner permission I wouldnt worry about others the end of the day you asked and he said yes so happy hunting I have been to few farms  where they have said no got people here already and I respect that but soon a farmer say yes I am in the field  Grin. I always go with a friend or two and  share farms between us this way we all keep busy and enjoy a day metal detecting.good luck.Nap 
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »

You have done nothing wrong. You weren't to know that someone else was searching there. I have quite a number of permissions and some I haven't been to for the same length of time. To be honest if someone went to them and got permission to search I can't honestly complain. As others have pointed out at the end of the day it is the farmer's land. It is hard enough these days to get new farms so make the most of it.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
alun

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

Many sites are available to whoever the farmer or owner trusts at the end of the day, I have two areas which others also detect on, which does not bother me or the others concerned. In fact we pal up from time to time if we are there together.
As Val stated go and enjoy yourself, if others have a issue about it then they need to put themselves in your position.
If your down my neck of the woods, your welcome for a day out anytime.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
win

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »

Thanks everyone for taking time to post your comments, much appreciated. Nice to see that everybody is pretty much of the same opinion, settles my mind. Thanks again.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »

One last thing though, Is ethics by thythecs ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
win

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »

Yes, just north of Wethecs.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »

No problem mate as far as iam concerned,if they wanted the land to them selves they would had a agreement with present landowner that would have stopped you going on..In these cases usually the other detectolrists have thousands of acres of land to go on...Far to much for their life time...Enjoy your new land and dont worry Smiley ...Rob
anthonyjay

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »

When the landowner gives you permission you have every right to go there regardless of other arrangements. If you had the land first do you think the other detectorists would question their options?. I have a site in North Somerset where there are several detectorists that use it but none of us object sharing the land. I hope you many good finds my friend. AJ
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:17:00 PM by anthonyjay » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal