Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect Day - Perfect Field - But Still No Hammered :(  (Read 3752 times)
Bob

« on: October 13, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »

First finds with my new detector (X-Terra 705)
Finally upgraded from my old Tesoro Trident and took it out for a test run today down Gower.
Arrived at the farm I scan on to find a field ploughed and seeded (it looked like a beach!)
The farmer let me go on it and I thought, here we go, got to get something good today.
Set up the Minelab 705 as per instructions and off I went. First thing I noticed was how nice
it was not to get so many trash signals that tended to overwhelm the Tesoro. (I was in pattern 1 mode)
but I did try all metal too, second thing was the increase in weight of the machine.
After using Tesoros the 705 was a definite increase and after an hour or so my arm started aching.
I think I'll have to see about sorting out a bungee harness thingy to help support it.
This farm hasn't been very productive, very quiet in fact, not even much iron, however I did find a few coins
including a cartwheel penny which I gave the farmer. A coin which I've enlarged and think is an Irish halfpenny,
a musket ball, part of a thimble, part of a fishing reel? two lead bag seals, worn halfpenny? a nice button with
design and finally a small button.
Verdict?
I like the 705 but need to sort out some method of supporting it (I have knackered neck and back) as I found it
tiring after an hour or so and even tried using my left hand (no giggling please...)

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9266/69164724.mp4

dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

Yep deffo an Irish Georgian copper nice selection. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »

Well done Bob. Know what you mean about the old back. One of my farmers asked me to look for his flash light, it took me 2 and a half hours. I've heard of swinging the lead, they must have been detectorists who thought that one up Grin I'm not much good with the right arm never mind the left Undecided
Happy hunting with the new machine.

VAL

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »

Bob, first thing is that the XT705 is a light machine the problem that most people have is caused by the shaft being to long, try shortening it.
Secondly is get out of pattens and go all metal  2 tone and try not to drop the sensitivity below 28.
Bob

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »

Thxs Chef, I'll give it a try Smiley
Bob

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »

Took the 705 out for a second day today on a farm I have near Loughor, hard to get on this farm, the farmer can be difficult. Last time he wouldn't let me on, this time he did.
Plenty of signals on this site and one of the first ones was a silver love token. Worn smooth and edges turned up, probably took some bloke weeks to wear it down for his betrothed.
From top left, looks like a threaded plug, a piece of slag that looks like a figurine, not lead but heavy. A few pieces of lead and some sort of washer. Second row, 2 musket balls, a weird shaped piece of lead, I've included a close-up, could it be a gaming piece? Various buckles, although the far right one looks a bit different to anything I've seen before. Bottom row, a large button, four worn coins and the silver token.

I was gob-smacked today with the 705's depth. The big buckle was down over eighteen inches!

I shortened the length of the shaft by two settings and it was much easier on the arm (thanks again Chef)
All in all I am pretty happy with the 705. I might try a beach next Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »

Well done Bob on your finds and I'm glad you found it a bit easier today. The Xterra's are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »

Looks great value.
What coil are you using and how accurate is the depth indicator?

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Bob

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

Thanks Geoff Smiley

NL08_Rob - It's a 7.5mhz coil and depth indicator works pretty well. Showed full 5 bars on stuff that was deeper than 10-12 inches
Bob

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

Took the 705 to Caswell yesterday and although it was a lovely day I had hard work finding anything with the 705 as there was so much sand on the beach, I was really surprised. I set it up for beach work and started off in AM mode but was having too many iffy signals so switched to program 1 and turned down the sensitivity which helped. BUT! it loves ring-pulls and not just any ring-pull but the fragmented ends of the old tab kinds, I found loads and each one resembled a hammered though!
In total I found about fifteen small bits of aluminium tab, two modern coins, 1 fishing weight and one copper coin that I thought was a modern 1/2p but when I got home and cleaned it I could see that it wasn't. It is very worn and thin but have no idea what it is.

So, if anyone is thinking of trying Caswell then I'd say forget it until we have a nice storm to clear the beach.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal