Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Weakest Link........Headphone Cable!  (Read 7773 times)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« on: July 10, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »

For the past couple of months I have had problems with my headphone cable. It was causing the signal received to be broken, spitty, pulsy or generally poor.

At first I thought it was the headphones. I ruled that out and then suspected it was the headphone socket. Then, no signal at all! I had a spare headphone cable and immediately I could see it was the cable. This surprised me as the cable was very thick and appeared good quality.

Anyway, I continued with the spare thinner headphone cable but the initial problem resumed! Eventually, checking bit by bit I found that it was a combination of a poor quality cable, poor jack and really bad soldering.
(see below pic)

Well, it was obvious I need a new headphone cable and jacks.

I remembered someone I met on a rally, using a Minelab E Trac, telling me that his son had got him a high quality professional audio lead for his headphones and that he had immediately noticed an improvement in the signal tones.

I started to trawl the internet to try and find one to buy and find out if it would make a difference.

I popped in to a busy Music Shop in Cardiff and asked them if they did such a curly headphone lead. I was informed that they stopped doing curly headphones leads as they had so many returned due to faults.

I looked into this and got the advice of someone in the industry. His reply is:

Curly lead are not the best on the output of an amplifiers to speakers as they would increase impedance and so frequencies would alter slightly. The result is poor sound quality.

A straight cable is best, but without coiling it, as again it increases the impedance if coiled.

In my time of being an audio repair engineer for a hirer company I noted that any lead would suffer most where the solder connections were in the connector, so it is a common problem. It's a case of the lead being pulled about and the conductors twisting within the lead that cause this. The more strands in the cable the better, and then if they are twisted this decreases the stress within the connector. Where the solder joints are a tight, cord grip helps as well.

I then got the following cable made. It is extremely high professional grade quality as well as the jacks.

The following two pics detail the Make of the cable and details:

The two pictures below show the quality of the jacks. Compare them to my old lead which is typical of many headphone cable jacks.

I have tried out the new headphone cable and, yes, it does make a big difference!  It's the old saying, you get what you pay for!!!!

Your machine is only as good as the weakest link between coil and the signal to your ears (headphones). It is no good having great headphones and a poor quality cable. My advice is to check what you are using and upgrade to the best you can get hold of.

My headphone cable, with jacks and postage, (for hip mount (48")) cost me about £11.   I would estimate that 8 to 10' would be required for a normal length lead. (stretch your existing lead for measurement)

I can recommend Stuart at the following firm to assist you with making something to your requirements. Tell him it's for metal detecting headphones and he'll know what's required....

http://www.ultimateproaudio.co.uk/

E-mail:   sales@ultimateproaudio.co.uk

heather

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »

Some of us don't have all those problems !!   Lol

H

3 hammered silver
100 penicilian tubes
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

I thought the Deus was cordless  Grin Grin
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »

I thought the Deus was cordless  Grin Grin

It is............but I also have the BLISS v3........the deepest machine known to man!  Grin

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »

Some of us don't have all those problems !!   Lol

H

It's a wonder you haven't been prosecuted for noise pollution, Heather!  Cheesy  Smiley

Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »

try these , been using mine for 6 months no problems at all  Wink Wink Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-6-35mm-STEREO-Male-Jack-to-Jack-Cable-1-4-Lead-/320536393642?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4aa17537aa

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

Tell me about it LOL
I nearly gave up making headphones due to poor cables and that's why I use quite thick cable now to help prolong life. As you say they all suffer from it, I have a pair of grey ghosts and a pair of pro-golds that I have just had to replace the Jacks on for customers.
A couple of points though, the audio circuits of metal detectors are pretty basic and will only really suffer from bad connections and not because of the quality of the cable. The curling of a cable wont effect the impedance of the lead but it will effect the resistance (commonly confused).
The Main problem with a 10' cable is that it can cause falsing at times purely by flapping around and they also get caught on vegetation etc.
But I would say that I always keep one in the car for emergencies.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »

But I would say that I always keep one in the car for emergencies.

Are we still talking about the headphone cable?  Grin

bajero

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing the info rjm always good to know where to buy quality items for the hobby.

Would also like to say that I bought a replacement lead off chef geoff last year, and the new thicker cable is of very good quality - makes all the difference, cheers
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »

I'm using Chef's headphones but he didn't supply me with a lead....... Cry

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »

I had Koss phones with my Etrac and the lead lasted 6 weeks, In fact it happened on the field and chef soldered it back for me on his dinner break.

In fact he told me to let you know that if anyone has faulty leads , Koss , Grey Ghost, Cheapy phones - any in fact , that he will repair them for you at the next rally.  Grin

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

W W W W W W W W W W What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

yeah forgot to say Chef do repair headphones at the rally and very cheap best service you can get on the field so please feel free to have your headphone with you when Geoff le chef is here .

Testimonials: Thanks to Chef for repairing my headphone at Glastonbury rally without my headphone i was stuck in the car.From Pat digger

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal