Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can i go detecting ???  (Read 6738 times)
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« on: August 20, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »

Any advice available
Is there anywhere other than beaches that i can go detecting without the hassle of tracking down farmers and begging for permission.
Also I do not have the time to commit to joining a club due to irregular work patterns.

Why is there so much secrecy surrounding the location of finds.
I would have thought that as a "Community" of detectorists you would be glad to share the information so that others could visit these sites of interest ?

Finds
1 x Medana WW I Trench Watch
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

If you don't want to track down farmers and get permission then you really have no choice but to join clubs.... You already joined this one and there's a rally this weekend that DW is hosting and there will be many more.

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »

Simple answer is "No there isn't" Wink All land in the UK belongs to someone and as such permission is ALWAYS required.
There are a few reasons for the "secrecy" issue, the first being that most farmers give permission for only 1 or sometimes 2 or 3 people to detect their land and if more started turning up then permission would be very soon lost, secondly certain unscrupulous detectorists would start visiting the site (Nighthawking) without permission and thirdly some record their finds with PAS and some don't but with out all finds recorded from a site only half the picture is recorded, all detectorists that come on our sites record end of.
Also why should people share their sites which they have probably gone door knocking for with people who will never seem to reciprocate the gesture because "hassle of tracking down farmers and begging for permission".
romano-brit

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:39:41 AM »

bit of a daft question wasnt it???

i cant be arsed to knock but hey lets just on that nice looking feild by that iron age site

LoL

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »

I'm all up for detecting as a 'community' and visiting sites together, but that comes with joining a club or forums.
As for individual land, i don't see a reason for it to be shared with everyone. Alot of hard work goes into finding, researching and asking for permission. Surely the person who puts in the hard work has the right to reap the rewards?

Part of the joy for me is recording my finds and building up a picture of the history of the site. So to have other people removing finds from a site I have put hard work into is not something I would be interested in.

My advice would be to go out there and talk to farmers. It's not begging. Some farmers might even be very interested in you searching their land.

Seeking permission is just part of the hobby.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:48:13 AM by Jon1987 » Logged
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

Jesus Guys calm down...
I was only asking a question, as a newbie I was hoping for some friendly advice and a little less confrontational and sarcastic replies Huh

Thanks for your help and support Huh

Finds
romano-brit

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »

sorry mate, werent meant to be a nasty reply

2011/2012 Finds

diggerdave1

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »

Hi.. pjguy68....

as u are a newbie to detecting, i can defo see your point of view,  esp if u havent always the time in the day to go search for your own sites, and knock on afew landowners doors, to gain permission for detecting, because of  your work commitments ect..
Tho it sounds like good advice, that u sound join alocal aclub,attend some rallys..
tho i will say if maybe afew more detectorists out there, with the land available,and there are plenty !!
would maybe land share alittle more esp with newcomers to metaldetecting, and with those who havent any land or are finding difficult to gain search permission because of whatever reason??..Happier days i reckon !! Wink
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »

Sorry if you felt my reply was in any way hostile towards you. I assure you it was not intended to be, I was simply stating my point of view.

I can understand the view that newbies might find it difficult finding land, but unless you get out there and know on doors it just won't happen.

I'm new to the hobby myself, I have been detecting for just under twelve months. I have managed to gather a couple of hundred acres to search on in this time.

I think the greatest satisfaction I have had from finding my own land is building up the story of the sites recording my finds. One site I have managed to find evidence of a medieval fishing settlement, 17th century trading post right through to 19th century domestic buildings.
I belive if I was to share this location to everything alot of this evidence would have been lost to me.

I'm sure once you have got some land to go on you will understand what I mean.

Another a piece of advice I could give is detecting in woodland or river forshores. but again, make sure you have permission to detect in that area.

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »

get down a beach and go for the gold  Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »

tried that.....Found 21p and 3 rusty bottle tops....Oh the joy of detecting..lol

Finds
markymark123

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

i have been only doing it for a little over a month and took me half of that to get some land ,i first tried phoning farmers but it wasnt a good option didnt have 1 yes, as for work patterns , i work 12 hrs a day plus 2 hrs travelling and have had 2 days off in 52 days , but just use that little time spare to visit a few farmers , the worst they are going to say is no they are not interested . Then when u get urself some land if u have a few hours spare then your land is there waiting for you. You have to put a little in to get something back, i have known people that havnt got land for months and now have loads of farms to choose from , so u must see the point that when they have spent so long hunting for fields they aint going to just hand it out to another person who dont want the hassle in finding thier own ................
romano-brit

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

it took me 6 years to get my 1st farm

2011/2012 Finds

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »

The only answer pjguy68 is to get out there and go door knocking - in my experience someone always eventually says Yes! Nobody ever gets anything given to them on a plate. If you want to detect inland then you need to put some time in to get a farm. Its what we have all had to do.

Good luck with it - and stay positve - you will get a Yes!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

You've not even got to go out and knock doors with the internet.

Use Google Earth to source the farm (By zooming in on the village you wish to detect near , just type in farm in the search box, you will then see all the farms in that area. Click on the red flag and you will have the farm name, Farmers name , Address , Telephone number and post code)

Give the farmer a ring , explain youre new and without land to detect on. Ask  (no begging required) if you could do a days detecting and go from there. It may take 10 or 20 phonecalls but if you're serious about gaining inland detecting fields, 10 or 20 phonecalls is the least of what you owe yourself.

Good Luck.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal