Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a few newbie questions...  (Read 3078 times)
Matty
Rally attendee

« on: August 31, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I've just got back into the hobby after a 20 year break. Short story short, was taking the dog for a walk through a local residential building site and happened upon a lovely George III sixpence the other week and it's kinda re-ignited the fire! I used to detect with a very old machine I bought in Tandy (now that's showing my age) but it's long since died and since the kids arrived I haven't had much time.

I've been looking at buying a Garrett 250 or 350. Not sure whether the extra cash for the 350 would be worth it for spurious use, or whether I'm better off getting the 250 plus the larger coil?

I'm planning on doing mostly beach detecting, and with that in mind, wanted to ask what the permission situation was? Are all beaches in South Wales ok to dig on? From what I hear, Southerndown doesn't allow it (but people seem to detect there anyway?).

Sorry for rambling. Any advice on all or some of the above would be gratefully received.

Matty.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »

hiya matty.....most of our beaches are ok to detect on......look in the beach detecting section on this site and you will find a link to print a free "beach permit" which will last a year.....there is also a link there showing what beaches are crown estate property and they are the ones that are ok to detect....as you say, parts of southerdown are no go areas but the majority of south wales beaches are fine....welcome back to the hobby....the ace 250 is a great machine and many new people have them...i cant say what they are like on wet sand but i'm sure someone will be along soon to give you all the info.....happy hunting...... Wink......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »

Hi Matty and welcome to the forum. Sound words by Byron there but I really wouldn't go down the Garrett Ace road if you are going to be detecting mainly beaches.
Some will tell you that you can use it but on wet sand it is very very limited and I think you would be crying out for another machine in no time. Wink
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »

someone on here is selling a sovereign gt...according to some, the king of the beach machines Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:51 AM »

i agree with geoff.for about the same cash you could get a second hand explorer or sovereign,the cheaper garrrets dont like the wet sand and thats where the nice heavy rings tend to be.good luck Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Matty
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

Thank you all very much indeed.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for second hand ones!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal