Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some days are diamonds  (Read 3238 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: June 03, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »

and some days are stones! I recently contacted the manageress of one of my permissions and she informed me that the land owners have now put the area that I was detecting out of bounds and metal detecting will not be allowed. Not being too disappointed, last week I took a walk down to the building project were I had been detecting all last year; only to find that the builders have now left the site and the land is now being returned to being an active sports ground. OH POOP!

I suppose I better show my face at my other three small permissions, before they to disappear of my list. I should also get my act together and get out there knocking on doors!   Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »

Hi ya "resurgam" thought I would  add my 2 penneth to your comments regarding permissions,as we all know at this time of year we are all pretty well"grounded"(excuse the pun) because of valuable crops and silage growing to non detectable heights,I find it difficult to contact the respective farmers/landowners, should I ring them up and ask when is your land ok for me to detect on,or,have you any fields cut yet! or,when will you be cutting the fields?these questions must be so insignificant in comparison to the much more serious considerations of running a farm on a daily basis, and all that it entails.
So,I have learned to be more patient,drive round the areas, take stock of each  permission, and just be grateful that when the time is right,and the grass is cut,I can walk through that gate into those fields knowing that I have upset  no one,and the farmer gives a wave as he passes the field on his tractor,all is well,and everybody's happy.👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »

Yep; I learned all about the seasonal restrictions, winter wheat, grass for hay-making and silage; as well as animals in the pasture. Sadly, the permissions I spoke of are presently gone for ever.

Just got back from my regular farm shop and the farmer said to carry on at my leisure and and just get stuck in. Going up there on Saturday afternoon for four or five hours to see how the Safari behaves it's self.  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

We only see one of 'our' farmers on a regular basis and we get on great with him. My buddy found an Edward III groat yesterday and as the farmer was working in the next field we went over to show him. He was as pleased as Punch, and didn't even ask, 'Is it worth 'owt . . . ?' Luckily we can go there anytime as it's previously ploughed pasture except for a field of barley. That's coming up nicely so we should be able to get in there as soon as that's harvested.

I've been doing some research lately with a view to finding yet another permission and spotted one on the old maps by chance. Looks very promising, so as it was chucking it down on Tuesday we went for a recce. As it happened, we walked into the owner so I just came straight out and said we were metal detectorists and would like permission to detect on his land.

He said he'd had detectorists there before but we didn't look like the usual type (?) so he was willing to talk about it. He was already late for an appointment but gave me his mobile number and asked me to phone on Saturday to arrange a meet.

Well, he hasn't said 'No,' yet . . .

We live in hope (and die in Caergwrle . . .  Wink )
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »

Sounds to be most promising m8; good luck and happy hunting.

I will get four or five hours in on Saturday afternoon and the Mrs has agreed to me putting in a day on the sands this comming Tuesay. I have been given several tips to try for pemission. One small piece of land has a couple of lamas on it. Do "lamas" bite?  Undecided

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »

Hope you gain a positive answer Cymro 👍👍
Cymro

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »

As one who has had close contact with llamas (not that kind of contact, you filthy minded swine . . . ) I can assure you that llamas do not bite. In fact they are allegedly incapable of biting because they only have lower teeth, and a hard pad instead of upper teeth which they grind their fodder with.

I know this because I took SWMBO llama trekking in Oxfordshire for her 50th birthday and we were given a talk on llamas before starting the trek. They are very docile animals but are very strong, which is why I was seen taking very long strides across the otherwise peaceful Sunday scenery when the llama I had been allocated decided that he liked the look of some weeds the other side of the field. Once they make up their mind up to go, they will go.

What llamas will do is spit. We were at Greenacres Farm Park in Hawarden years ago when a guy decided to make fun of a llama. He got right in its face and kept there while the llama did its best to ignore him, all the while chewing its cud.

Eventually, when the llama had chewed enough cud for about a gallon of spit, it turned around and spat it all into the fella's face. He was drenched in gooey,stinky green llama spit from his head to somewhere around his knees.

How we laughed . . .  Grin

He didn't.

So as long as you don't annoy them you'll be safe from biting and spitting - I gather they have a range of about 40 yards . . . (just kidding Wink)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »

Do "lamas" bite?  Undecided

Yes they do here's one tucking in to a biscuit Grin
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »

Never Dally with the LLAMAS!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Geoff Cheesy Cheesy

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »

Never Dally with the LLAMAS!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »

Ok ! Chefs reply takes the biscuit !!!👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »

It's a "cracker"!   Grin

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »

I think you need to get awafer a while..lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal