Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some observations for Sunday's rally (6th April)  (Read 4527 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

I just thought I would note down a few observations which may come in handy to those attending this coming Sundays rally especially as the weather forecast from now until then is for sunshine and showers and so ground conditions should be similar to the last.
Basically this is about the mineralisation, after the first 20 minutes I stopped and checked all my audio settings as I was getting some very strange "mixed" signals but soon realised it was the ground conditions and not my machine. I run an Explorer XS which has all the power but none of the finesse of the newer models so when conditions get "weird" you get punished but this is only audio-wise as all other machine are suffering the same it's just that we XS users can hear what's happening.
I had the 13" ultimate coil and even decided to swap to a smaller coil until I realised I hadn't packed one Doh! but Ferret had to downsize from the Big Nel to the standard on his AT-Pro, the vast majority of members I spoke to commented on how shallow many of the finds were (mineral Camouflaging).
My only two coins were found in the last twenty minutes just after switching in to all metal and came from the same corner of field 2 that had attracted a good number of members as it was the corner that had produced a good number of Roman grots earlier in the day, even in AM neither of these signals were classically good and I only dug them as they were once again "odd", I'm sure Rambo who was there at the time still thinks I brought them with me as he was one who had been combing this area Grin
So after all this rambling my advice would be if you have a choice of coils go standard to small not standard to large Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:25:16 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »

Good info.

There's definitely been a whole host of weird signals recently - and now I think about it, most of my finds recently have been quite shallow.

At least I can now blame it on the weather.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:14 AM »

the etrac didnt have a problem,mind you i only dug the good signals Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
colin

dig everything

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

rambo says that to everyone geoff lol  Wink
hoover-G

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »

My explorer xs done me proud had my sensitivity up too 32 and didn't get no interference. Everything that beeps gets hoovered up in the bag  Wink
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:06:51 PM by hoover-G » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »

No it wasn't a matter of interference more what the mineralisation coupled with the iron was doing to the signals, good targets were being dragged out of place both tone and readout. I think you have a 12X10 SEF? if so then it's in the standard bracket, I'm trying to warm people who are thinking of strapping on a 15" coil for better ground coverage that it may backfire on them Wink
hoover-G

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »

Ah right mate and 11" I use I do carry a smaller coil too. My wrist aches when I'm in super mode from time to time so can't imagine having a bigger coil on there Embarrassed
bristolminelab
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

had the safari with ultimate coil on in all metal with just -10 out and was fining clear targets very deep Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal